1000 Turkish Lira

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

1000 Turkish Lira

Postby fb101 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:51 pm

I picked up a 1990 1000 Turkish Lira coin in rejects; anybody know what it's made of or anything about it?
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 1000 Turkish Lira

Postby Country » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 pm

Copper-Zinc-Nickel, KM-997... :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:58 pm

my book says copper-zinc-nickel

no longer current
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 pm

By 1997 a 50,000 lira was a 1.5g Al coin.

Scary!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:20 am

A few years back (maybe 8 years) I picked up and framed a $1 million note while visiting Turkey. Figured I should frame my first million :) It was worth a buck back then... not sure today.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:22 am

JadeDragon wrote:A few years back (maybe 8 years) I picked up and framed a $1 million note while visiting Turkey. Figured I should frame my first million :) It was worth a buck back then... not sure today.

What's it like..in Turkey?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:09 pm

The new Lira is reasonably strong. Maybe they learned their lesson. Current rate is $1 USD = 1.57190 TRY
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:01 pm

JadeDragon wrote:A few years back (maybe 8 years) I picked up and framed a $1 million note while visiting Turkey. Figured I should frame my first million :) It was worth a buck back then... not sure today.

JadeDragon did you visit the ruins of Ephesus while you were there?
Copper Catcher

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:25 pm

I did go to E
Copper Catcher wrote:

JadeDragon did you visit the ruins of Ephesus while you were there?

I did visit Ephesus as well as Istanbal, Thermal, Capadosia, and Pergomam (spelling). It was a fast moving self directed trip. The Turkish people I met were super helpful and friendly. One guy I stopped on the street for directions actually walked me three block to the hotel I was trying to find.

One of the highlights was visiting the theater where Paul's friends were dragged before the mob and reading the story right where it happened. I also covertly entered the ruins of St John's church where legend says John is buried under the former alter. The The temple of Artemis in Ephesus is just a ruin now, but it was a very large structure in it's day.

The rock houses of Cappadocia were amazing too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rexor » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:55 pm

69.5Cu-18Zn-12Ni-.5Mn
Rexor

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics