Confused...Need Answer Please

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Confused...Need Answer Please

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:54 am

As usual, I am confused about something. I picked up a couple of my birth year coins out of the foreign junk bin at the recent coin show in Orlando.

They are 1955 and are from the British Caribbean Territories/Eastern Group. My confusion is about the portrait used of QEII.

The portrait on these coins looks like a much older QEII and has a crown on her head similar to that shown on some of the KGVI coins. She does not have that youthful look of facial features or hairstyle similar to the Canadian coins and the ones from Great Britain during the same time frame.

Why? Why not use the same portrait of the queen on all the coins around the world that she is depicted on?

Thanks for any help and clarification to my puzzlement.

Enjoy your coins, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Re: Confused...Need Answer Please

Postby NiBullionCu » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:44 pm

the obverse design is by Thomas Humphrey Paget.

He was a prolific engraver for the British mint.

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=4118.0

Paget’s most productive period followed the Second World War: his many commissions included seals for the Central African Federation, the South Arabian Currency Authority and the National Coal Board; medals for the Victoria Numismatic Society, the Society of Chemical Industry and the Royal Society of Medicine; coins for Bolivia, the British Caribbean Territories, Burma, the Central African Federation, Iraq, the Isle of Man, Jordan, New Zealand, Nigeria, South Arabia, Southern Rhodesia, Uruguay and Western Samoa. Particular mention deserves to be made of his head of Feisal II for the Iraq coinage, for which the schoolboy King gave sittings at Harrow, and of the reverse design for the Southern Rhodesia crown of 1953, which incorporated so many diverse elements in a space of only one and a half inches that it must be considered a numismatic triumph. Another that should be counted among his best must be a medallic portrait of the Duke of Edinburgh, his last major commission.

Why that specific rendition of the queen for those coins? probably unknowable.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks.

It just seems so strange when comparing the obverse of various "British" coins from the same period.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby didou » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:37 pm

I think it's up to the country who made the coins, i always find funny that Australia didn't have the same queen design as Canada

Is this you are talking about :
She look young but crowned unlike similar design of these year.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:26 am

didou wrote:I think it's up to the country who made the coins, i always find funny that Australia didn't have the same queen design as Canada

Is this you are talking about :
She look young but crowned unlike similar design of these year.

Yes, that is design. I don't think she looks as youthful as she does on the Canadian and UK coins from that time frame and the hairstyle is quite different, more like an older queen. You would think that the monarchy would want consistency in representation.

The crown looks very similar to some of the crowns depicted on one of the King Georges on some countries coins.

Thanks.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics