Debasing UK coins

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Debasing UK coins

Postby uthminsta » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Article summary: Starting in 2011, the 5 and 10 pence coins of Great Britain will be made of nickel plated steel, instead of coppernickel. Supposed to save them 10 million pounds a year in production costs and the coins will last longer. They will be 11% thicker though, and vending machines etc will all have to be altered, at significant expense.

OR, you can just read the whole article:

http://www.uttoxeteradvertiser.co.uk/Sport/Coins-fall-prey-to-spending-cuts-90163.xnf?FeedSourceID=11&FeedImageID=20049&BodyFormat=1
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Debasing UK coins

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Why the heck are they making the new coins thicker? Thickness change is not needed to sort out the CuNi coins.

Also the article says: "The new coins will not only be cheaper to make, but they should also last longer, remaining in circulation for an average of 25 to 30 years." First time I've ever heard that a steel coin will outlast a CuNi coin. Anyone noticed 30 year old CuNi beavers or Jeffs wearing out?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby didou » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:52 am

JadeDragon wrote:Why the heck are they making the new coins thicker? Thickness change is not needed to sort out the CuNi coins.

Also the article says: "The new coins will not only be cheaper to make, but they should also last longer, remaining in circulation for an average of 25 to 30 years." First time I've ever heard that a steel coin will outlast a CuNi coin. Anyone noticed 30 year old CuNi beavers or Jeffs wearing out?

The RCM made the same claim, but if you ever hand sort a box of Canadian pennies you know it's false. Steel penny are barely 10 years old and they look more damaged than zinc and copper penny. They supposedly made test and extrapolate data to match a lifetime of a penny, it's all crap. They want the metal and will invent whatever excuse they think the public will believe. I believe than 1978-1979, 1980-1981 are the best composition/weight for longevity, they are the less damaged coin still red and shiny you can find in Canadian circulating penny. CuNi seem to do a little bit worst than pure Ni who will probably outlive anyone without any damage. The nickel-plated steel coins in Canada also don't have a lot of damage but they are relatively new.

Most country seem to rely on the Canadian expertise when they want to debase coins and made them out of steel. And the RCM in it's new paper rely on others country data to debase the 1 and 2 dollar. It's cyclic and don't make sense. You can't rely on other country who rely on you for data, it's just doing something you believe without backup.

European country also want (or have do) to remove all nickels in every euro coins. Nickels was voted allergen of the year 2008 by the American Contact Dermatitis Society and while it's toxicity is proved a small amount in the coins don't do any harm unless you work at a cash register or handle nickels all day long. I believe it's only here to scare the population into asking the removal of all nickels. Most new coins are still nickel-plated any way and the amount of nickel in contact with the skin is the same as before.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:58 am

Interesting stuff. You guys reckon I should start keeping my 5 and 10p pieces then?
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:05 pm

Devil Soundwave wrote:Interesting stuff. You guys reckon I should start keeping my 5 and 10p pieces then?

A little pile of CuNi never hurt anybody. You might try to find some of the old bigger CuNi coins from the 1970s. I believe they are no longer legal tender, so maybe you could find some deals.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Devil Soundwave » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:11 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:
Devil Soundwave wrote:Interesting stuff. You guys reckon I should start keeping my 5 and 10p pieces then?

A little pile of CuNi never hurt anybody. You might try to find some of the old bigger CuNi coins from the 1970s. I believe they are no longer legal tender, so maybe you could find some deals.

Correct, mostly no longer legal tender (save for the Crown, though no-one would take them these days despite the fact they where never retired). I have a bunch of these already, but am happy they now have a value! :)
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:59 am

I've got 3 of the 5 pence coins, they are already pretty thick, that's the main thing that
(barely) differentiates them from a Canadian dime. I got all 3 in change from the same
coffee shop (located in a hotel), I think they traveled over here with airline employees
who stayed at that hotel. If you aren't looking very close and it's queen side up you
won't notice the difference. Oddly this is the coffee shop that won't accept 50¢ pieces. :-D
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:45 am

Agree that the nickel pieces are essentially forever coins - they will never wear out. If they are going to re-size, they need to kill the lower denomination coins, move the next up to copper alloy, the next up to cu/ni, and the largest to ni. (Of course, they won't.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:03 am

68Camaro wrote:Agree that the nickel pieces are essentially forever coins - they will never wear out. If they are going to re-size, they need to kill the lower denomination coins, move the next up to copper alloy, the next up to cu/ni, and the largest to ni. (Of course, they won't.)

I agree. In any case there is a limit to debasement...... at one point, coins will be made out of .... rocks. :roll:

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics