What mints made 18th century Spanish reales?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

What mints made 18th century Spanish reales?

Postby uthminsta » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:17 pm

I can't seem to find a good source of information on which mints made the Spanish silver coins of the 18th/19th centuries. I know Mexico City did, and Lima, Peru... seems I had one from Guatemala before... but when you get right down to it, what I REALLY need is a visual resource showing all the mint marks that would have been on the coins.
The big Krause book doesn't list them all in one place, because they are from different countries. But if you don't know which countries MADE them, you wouldn't know where all to look in the Krause book...
This seems like a valuable enough resource that such information should be collected together somewhere!!! Anyone???
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What mints made 18th century Spanish reales?

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:30 pm

Interesting, I though I had seen some info on this on the coin community family website. Cant seem to find it now...

Just another though, might want to post this question over there and see if one of their experts on reales knows. Might be worth a shot.

Did run across this though off of another site.

Where can I find a list of 1792 spanish gold 8 Escudo mint marks on the WEB?

'Probably not all in one place yet. If you are interested in Spanish Numismatics you might want to get a copy of Numismatica Española by F. Calicó. All thirty-eight New World and Old World Spanish mint marks and their variations are listed. You might want to check you local coin shop to see if they have a copy of this very useful volume or contact the distributor directly at:

Gabinete Numismático
Calicó Plaza del Angel. 3.
Barcelona-2
España

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps...
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:40 pm

Let me know too if you find something - I have over half a dozen 8 Reales now...
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby uthminsta » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Did a little looking and found these so far. COUNTRY, Mint, mint mark description...

BOLIVIA - Potosi - mint mark looks like the letters P, T, S intertwined
CHILE - Santiago - mint mark is S with a small o above it
COLOMBIA - ??? -
GUATEMALA - ??? - mint mark is NG
MEXICO - Mexico City - mint mark is M with a small o above it.
PERU - Lima - mint mark looks basically like the letters ME.
SPAIN - Madrid - mint mark is M with a crown above it.
(others I saw mentioned: ARGENTINA? PORTUGAL?)

Thanks AGCoinHunter. I'll check that out...
Will be adding more mints and pics of mint marks as I can. This is a reference that needs to exist already.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics