Please Help ID this old Vicky

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Please Help ID this old Vicky

Postby Thogey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:53 am

I think it's a medal, any ideas?

vicky274.jpg
vicky274.jpg (53.07 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Please Help ID this old Vicky

Postby Country » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Definitely it is a medal. The reverse of the medal displays the coat of arms of Austria, which at the time of the young Queen Victoria would be to commemorate some treaty/engagement with the Austrian empire circa 1840-1860 or possibly the Austrian-Hungarian empire after 1867. The medal was probably British, as Queen Victoria is prominently displayed on it. I'll do some more research to see what I can find. :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:43 pm

That's what kind of threw me off! the Victora vs Austrian coat of arms. I'm not a history buff. Too bad it's holed.

It does have a reeded edge.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Country » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Thogey wrote:That's what kind of threw me off! the Victora vs Austrian coat of arms. I'm not a history buff. Too bad it's holed.

It does have a reeded edge.

The hole is OK. The medal hung beneath some kind of fancy ribbon assembly. It seems to be a war campaign medal, but I can't recognize the war (or treaty) with Austria yet. Maybe some of our history experts and help us focus. :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Any help on this one.
Thogey

Postby Bluegill » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Pre-Commie Russia also used that coat of arms on their coinage. The U.K. and Russia were in a spat in the mid 1850's. I dunno...

That hole kinda looks half assed, like somebody did it with a hand drill. Or is it just the pic?
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 pm

The two-headed Eagle looks Russian to me. Plus the little ball with the cross looks Eastern Orthodox so I'm going Russia. The Tsar was the King's cousin, remember.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:02 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:The two-headed Eagle looks Russian to me. Plus the little ball with the cross looks Eastern Orthodox so I'm going Russia. The Tsar was the King's cousin, remember.

I seem to remember that's where all the hemophilia was.
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:06 pm

No expert on coats of arms, but the image seems to match that of late 19th century Russian Empire, as was noted above.

impero-russo-1858-1917.jpg
impero-russo-1858-1917.jpg (11.81 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby fasteddy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:11 pm

oh crud ...I thought maybe "this old vicky" had four wheels....
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Bluegill » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics