1978 South Africa 1 Rand, Silver or Cupronickel?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

1978 South Africa 1 Rand, Silver or Cupronickel?

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:23 pm

I bought a South Africa 1 rand from 1978 today. I have a tendancy to trust currencydebasement.com a little to much, methinks. Apparently in 1976 they started making this coin in Cupronickel as well as Silver. I have tried the tissue test and it shines through better than a 1970 proof Canada Dollar I own, but not quite as brightly as a 1964 Canadian. Does anyone know any non-invasive ways to determine whether this bad boy was the CN or Silver coin? Still newer to this so the "ring" test is probably out.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Re: 1978 South Africa 1 Rand, Silver or Cupronickel?

Postby Verbane » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:48 pm

1978 Silver was produced as a proof only in 1978
The silver Rand weighs 15 grams
The Nickel Rand weighs 12 grams
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks... get my scale out.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:12 am

Postal scale says 14..... I'm gonna assume its silver.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby currencydebasement » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:15 pm

Unfortunately this is an issue I contend with sometimes and have not found a good solution. Some countries, especially with commemoratives, make a base and silver version of many coins. The silver section of the site is primarily to be used to value silver coins, rather than identify them, because some countries do issue multiple versions of the same coin.

With South Africa I will edit the database and list the "proof only" versions of the silver Rands as such. Thanks!
Full time coin hoarder, part time attorney* (licensed to practice in CA and DC)
http://www.currencydebasement.com
currencydebasement

Postby hobo finds » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Welcome to the forum! I use your site alot!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Your site is on my smartphone - And it is pulled up quite often as a reference. I love it. It's great! There is nothing like it anywhere else. If a mistake had been made buying the coin it would have been due to my inexperience. That said, I think I got a winner here.

Your site has helped me purchase numerous coins at tremendous deals!

No insult was intended, hope you didn't take it that way.

It's a great site! Have you thought of adding a gold coin section? Or have I just missed it?
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby currencydebasement » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words. No offense taken, you pointed out something that required clarification.

Other people on realcent have pointed out errors, I appreciate it.

I am chomping at the bit to add a gold database like the silver database but I haven't had the time and since I have to pay a third party for design work and programming I decided to set it aside for a while. It's next on the list.
currencydebasement

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:48 pm

currencydebasement wrote:Thanks for the kind words. No offense taken, you pointed out something that required clarification.

I am chomping at the bit to add a gold database like the silver database but I haven't had the time and since I have to pay a third party for design work and programming I decided to set it aside for a while. It's next on the list.

Did you hear that realcenters? He's chomping at the bit to add a gold database. If you are going to buy something - see if you can buy it off of one of currencydebasement.com's ads.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Mercuryman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:43 pm

currencydebasement wrote:Thanks for the kind words. No offense taken, you pointed out something that required clarification.

Thanks for your website, its very useful.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby currencydebasement » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:06 am

Alright Onebite, I put up a gold database. I'll spend the next few months (years?) verifying what data I can with government sources.
currencydebasement

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:24 pm

currencydebasement wrote:Alright Onebite, I put up a gold database. I'll spend the next few months (years?) verifying what data I can with government sources.

I saw that! What was it Tuesday or Wednesday this week? I'm gonna drive some traffic to your website.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics