Question on buying entire collections

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Question on buying entire collections

Postby nero12345 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Hey all, within the last 2 or 3 months i've had a few opportunities to buy entire collections from different people. But how do you price an entire collection without going through every coin right there in front of the guy. Or is there a way? Do you ballpark it? that seems a bit risky. I'm thinking some % above face value? They seem to want rid of the whole thing so i can't just take what i want. Any tips or advice? Thanks.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Re: Question on buying entire collections

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 pm

nero12345 wrote:Hey all, within the last 2 or 3 months i've had a few opportunities to buy entire collections from different people. But how do you price an entire collection without going through every coin right there in front of the guy. Or is there a way? Do you ballpark it? that seems a bit risky. I'm thinking some % above face value? They seem to want rid of the whole thing so i can't just take what i want. Any tips or advice? Thanks.

My OP:

I set down with a notepad, pen, and greysheet. I do a honest retail evaluation of what I think I can move the material at and make an offer back of that price. I am buying for profit but I believe in giving folks a fair shake. As for their envolvement in the process......not a problem as long as they are realistic and do not expect HSN prices.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to USA Numismatics