End of the presidential dollar coin program

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

End of the presidential dollar coin program

Postby hobo finds » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:11 pm

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: End of the presidential dollar coin program

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Washington Post Article wrote:Instead of producing 70-80 million coins per deceased president, the Mint will now only produce as many as collectors want.

I wonder if this means they will only be making proofs, or if they will also be making/selling bags, rolls, and non-proof mint sets(?)
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:35 pm

That figures the only series I decide to collect and they are going to end it half way through.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:19 pm

That decision is classic backwards thinking. Need to get rid of the $1 BILL if you want a single person to start using those dollar coins. Duh.
uthminsta

Postby cuag » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Backwards thinking is my thought exactly. From the administration that brought you the cash for clunkers program with the defined goal to get gas hogs off the road, we axe $1 coins and keep the more expensive (in the long run) operation of printing $1 bills, and we are still left with all these years of Ikes, SBAs, and now presidentials. I guess taking the Canada option of stopping $1 bills and shoving $1 coins down our throat isn't a popular move in an election year, but cutting what the vast majority of what the public would see as "government waste" to save tax dollars is a good campaign plug.

Soon to grace the pages of the US Mint website: $1 presidential 20oz frisbees minted in a doublewide in Carson CIty with proofs from New Orleans!
cuag

Postby hobo finds » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Made by the mint on demand. So from Chester A Arthur on... I wonder what the demand for Obama coins will be?

http://presidentialdollarguide.com/pres ... -schedule/
hobo finds

Postby fb101 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:25 pm

I think it's still illegal to put a living person on our coinage.
fb101

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:32 am

How is this being done? The dollar coin is required by legislation, is the president doing this by executive order?
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:49 pm

fb101 wrote:I think it's still illegal to put a living person on our coinage.

You're right. In fact, I think there's also now a waiting period involved. So Carter, Bush x2, Clinton, Obama... unless they die 2 or 3 years before their coin is scheduled, they will not be included.
2012 Arthur, Cleveland, Harrison, Cleveland again
2013 McKinley, T. Roosevelt, Taft, Wilson
2014 Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, F. Roosevelt
2015 Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson
2016 Nixon, Ford...
Carter, Reagan
2017 GHWBush, Clinton, GWBush, Obama

2018... could we possibly have a president after Obama that is dead 2+ years by 2018? I guess anything can happen!
uthminsta

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:58 pm

uthminsta wrote:
fb101 wrote:I think it's still illegal to put a living person on our coinage.

You're right. In fact, I think there's also now a waiting period involved. So Carter, Bush x2, Clinton, Obama... unless they die 2 or 3 years before their coin is scheduled, they will not be included.
2012 Arthur, Cleveland, Harrison, Cleveland again
2013 McKinley, T. Roosevelt, Taft, Wilson
2014 Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, F. Roosevelt
2015 Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson
2016 Nixon, Ford...
Carter, Reagan
2017 GHWBush, Clinton, GWBush, Obama

2018... could we possibly have a president after Obama that is dead 2+ years by 2018? I guess anything can happen!

If they wanted, couldn't they side-step the law, and designate the remainder of the series as commemorative (I’m admittedly pretty daft when it comes to the intricacies of coinage legislation)?
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby robroy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:28 pm

The same question of how is it possible that Obama can summarily announce that the dollar coins are to be done away with when they are required by an Act of Congress was mentioned on another site. Is this going to be another examply of Obama doing an end around of congress or is someone from his party going to pull is chestnuts out by introducing termination legislation?

Don't forget that there are possibly three coin series that are affected by Obama's edict. Not only the Presidential dollar series, but also the Sacajewa (poor spelling) and the First Spouse series. I would think that he'd like to see Michelle's picture on her own coin. Because the Presidential and First Spouse series are currently being minted on the same annual schedule.

Of the three mentioned series I would like to see the Sacajiewa and First Spouse coins continue. To many coins IMO will lessen the value of coins. Similiar to what happened with the Post Office and its stamps.
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mishra142 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:20 am

The dollar coin may be gone, but all my credit card points remain :) Being able to buy these things at face with a credit card was the best thing since sliced bread.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby stevkc » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:35 pm

robroy wrote:The same question of how is it possible that Obama can summarily announce that the dollar coins are to be done away with when they are required by an Act of Congress was mentioned on another site. Is this going to be another examply of Obama doing an end around of congress or is someone from his party going to pull is chestnuts out by introducing termination legislation?

Don't forget that there are possibly three coin series that are affected by Obama's edict. Not only the Presidential dollar series, but also the Sacajewa (poor spelling) and the First Spouse series. I would think that he'd like to see Michelle's picture on her own coin. Because the Presidential and First Spouse series are currently being minted on the same annual schedule.

Of the three mentioned series I would like to see the Sacajiewa and First Spouse coins continue. To many coins IMO will lessen the value of coins. Similiar to what happened with the Post Office and its stamps.

Geez...can't anyone read? They are not ending the coin. It will still be made, just far fewer and they won't be sent out to banks for circulation. Just like half dollars for about the last 10 years.

Obama was never (in all likelihood) going to be on a coin. Unless you're dead, you don't get a coin. Currently, Reagan is the last scheduled coin.

There is no direct impact on the Native American coins. AT LEAST 20% of all dollar coins made must be Native American coins. So, they could continue making them in the same quantities, or they could reduce the mintage as the other dollar coins decrease. But they don't HAVE TO make any more or any less of them based on the reduction of Pres coins.
stevkc
Penny Sorter Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Due to the "limited" supply that they will making for collectors I wonder if we will still be getting at face value?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby stevkc » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:56 pm

NDFarmer wrote:Due to the "limited" supply that they will making for collectors I wonder if we will still be getting at face value?

I would highly doubt it, if half dollars are any example. The only way to get those are in rolls or bags directly from the Mint (at a premium) or in proof and mint sets.
stevkc
Penny Sorter Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:21 am

United States Mint Announces 2012 Presidential $1 Coin Designs

The Presidential $1 Coin Program is authorized by Public Law 109-145. Although production of circulating Presidential $1 Coins was recently suspended, collectible versions of the coin will continue to be available in select United States Mint offerings. For information on the availability and pricing of products featuring Presidential $1 Coins, visit http://www.usmint.gov/catalog or call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

Image ImageImageImage

And for Sacagawea

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics