ANyone know about full step nickels?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

ANyone know about full step nickels?

Postby creshka46 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:56 pm

I bought a nickel lot on ebay and just got the box today. In it, I found a 62-P jefferson that is in extremely good shape, looks like BU to me. It also seems to have very clear steps. Sorry, I can't take a picture as I can't get my camera to take detailed enough photos. I also don't have a loupe so I can't say for sure just how sharp they are. But I'm wondering if any of you know, in general, about values and such for full-step nickels. how big is the market? What kinds of values do these things have?
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: ANyone know about full step nickels?

Postby uthminsta » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:10 am

Sorry, I can't take a picture as I can't get my camera to take detailed enough photos

If you have a scanner, you can drop the coin on there and scan it. If you are familiar with it, change the settings to a higher resolution.

But I'm wondering if any of you know, in general, about values and such for full-step nickels.

Check out NumisMedia. They have prices for all US coins. They even have a separate PAGE for FULL STEP NICKELS. Link: http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

How big is the market?

Welllll... this I really don't know. My first suggestion is to look around a bit on eBay. Do some research on completed auctions with "full steps" or something similar in the title. Look forward to hearing what you find out. And to what the others post to help you. I recently bought some Whitman folders, and one was a Jefferson nickel book two... it only has the dates 1962-1965 printed in it, and it only CONTAINS nickels from 1962 through 1964. All BU. They've probably been in the book since the mid-60's. Haven't taken them out yet to look at the reverses.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby uthminsta » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:28 am

Later...
Your questions got me thinking. And when I start thinking, I start researching. This site has been pretty helpful
http://varietynickels.com/pages/jefferson-nickel/grading/understanding-full-steps.php
uthminsta

Postby creshka46 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks for the help!
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm

The closest I had was this 1964. The coin looks GREAT until you start zooming in on it...
uthminsta

Postby abe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 pm

If its truly a full step nickel you really need to dig up some info on it.
Some of the early 60's FS nickels have had a nice premium.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics