Regrade a 16d?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Regrade a 16d?

Postby DirtyFingers » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:04 am

Trying to pick the brains of you numi pros out there on this one. One of my 1916d Mercury dimes is slabbed
by ICG and graded AG-3. I was wondering if I were to send it to one of the upper tier graders, like NGC or PCGS,
to be regraded, would it increase the value of the coin, all costs considered, or would I be taking a chance that
the coin would be graded down?

Or should I leave it alone as it is?

I don't have any way to take quality pictures to post. Any advice is appreciated!
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Re: Regrade a 16d?

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:35 am

You might actually be better off if you just cracked it out and sold it as is... let someone else deal with a potential upgrade or increase in value. A 16-D in a AG grade is about as low as you go. In the buyers mind, they might be thinking that it could be G4, so you might even get a better price if it is raw. Keep the sticker from the slab.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:46 am

Even if it got downgraded by PCGS, I'll bet just having the PCGS slab over the ICG will have an impact on its marketability and you may even get a higher price with a PCGS slab even if the grade goes down slightly. I don't play the 3rd party grading game except for when coins are valued in the hundreds of dollars. It helps me feel a bit safer that I'm not getting an improperly cleaned coin or a fake. I know they are not perfect, but they are better than me and it helps the marketability of high dollar coins. For anything less than a couple of hundred bucks, 3rd party grading is a racket, especially for anything from the last 50 years. And don't get me started on grading billion coins or proofs.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:48 am

And I should add, I'd rather crack it out and sell it raw than try to sell with a second or third tier grading service. Raw or PCGS is the way to go.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:54 am

Guys, I forgot to mention that I have no plans to sell. Although the idea of cracking it open to see what kind
of offers I would get is intriguing.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby Elcid69 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:33 pm

Just got to your post. Traded a16D when I first started sorting when I was 10 in 1957, never found on since and it is the one one I'm missing.
What your price? Would like something @ a good price to fill the gap and to leave to my grandson rather then a blank hole in my blue book
I want to buy " War Nickel's & Steel Pennies"
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rob72830 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 am

Right now there is a raw 16D on ebay listed as AG with the bidding up to $456. If it were me, I would crack it out, put it in an album and let it be the start of a nice Mercury dime collection.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Elcid69 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 pm

If your plans are to sell please give me a chance to make an offer, Thanks
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:22 am

Elcid69 wrote:If your plans are to sell please give me a chance to make an offer, Thanks

My apologies for being slow in responding. Right now I'm trying to use the 16d in a trade for a higher
grade, but if I'm not successful and I decide to sell, I'll let you know.

By the way, it is part of a complete set. It took me a long, long time to complete it - starting in the late
50's. The set is my pride and joy, as I'm sure you would understand. Like yourself, it will go to one of my
grandkids someday. :)
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 am

A big THANK YOU to all for the responses. :D
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby just carl » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:05 am

IF your not planning on selling it, just put it in an Album and be happy to have an Album that you can open and see ALL the coins that should be there. Having it in a slab of any kind is for those that want a pile of plastic, not coins. I collect coins, not plastic.
See how much better they look when all together.
just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:17 am

wow nice set of mercs!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Elcid69 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:24 am

Nice 16D, if you upgrade please give me a chance to buy yours and I will make up the difference, OK? My blue book is still a blank empty slot, have a heart.
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Return to USA Numismatics