2009 Pennies - Anybody looking at them

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

2009 Pennies - Anybody looking at them

Postby robroy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:56 am

Since I have been sorting for copper pennies I have noticed that 2009 pennies (over all 4 varieties and mint marks) have seemed to be showing up in really low numbers.

For example out of 69 boxes of pennies I have come accross approximately 1.5 boxes of 1982 coins and over 800 wheat pennies. Compared to those numbers I have found about 550 2009's with the least being the presidential years (I haven't found 1 roll of that coin total) and the "D" mintmark is approximately 1/3 of the total count. I realize that I am in SW FLA but I still think that these numbers are really low.

Has anybody else been keeping track of their 2009 penny findings?
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 2009 Pennies - Anybody looking at them

Postby kwn68 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:30 am

Yup, I kow what you mean. I am a small time hand sorter and have done about 8 boxes as well as loose. I have set my 09s aside and probly have about 100 in my stack of mixed reverses. Some are really beat up but I still set them aside. Funny thing is I sort nickels as well and never seen a 2009 nickel. Was wondering where they are ll going?
kwn68

Postby uthminsta » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:24 pm

I have little trays for all twelve (2009-10-11, P and D)... just to see how each stacks up compared to the others. I have found less than 5 of the type 3 Denver, and several hundred of most of the others. When I noted that they were not coming in change, I actually bought a bank roll of type 3 Denvers at a show, for probably a couple bucks.
Now that I run a Ryedale, I pick a few nice looking ones out of the rejects before they go back to the bank. Eventually, they will all go back, except maybe a roll of each type. Unless I hear of a major error or variety that I could search for. That's another reason why I save them. Just thinking that within a few years after release, those varieties are starting to be documented here and there. Like the type 2 "doubled thumb" and such.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:42 pm

I saw a thread or site somewhere that showed pics of a few errors on the reverse on a couple different types of 09 cents. Since then I have thrown every on that I spot in a box There is probably $15 FV in there right now. Once it is full I will find that site again and break out the loupe to see if I can find me some treasure.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:21 pm

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics