What Becomes of your Collection?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

What Becomes of your Collection?

Postby zerocd » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:57 pm

I only had a few coins passed to me from my Grandmother (mostly pennies and some silver dollars) and one of my WWII vet step Grandfathers (Coins of Europe) in coffee cans/cigar boxes.

My Dad was a serious lifetime magician and had lots of halves and English pennies. He also had lots of interesting magicians coins which I now have.

When I was six, we sorted as a family at the kitchen table on Saturday mornings. My father went to the bank and picked up pennies, nickels dimes and quarters.

We couldn't afford halves often.

I was 10 in 1964 and it wasn't long after that we quit except to pull anything interesting from change and order some stuff from the mint.

Proof Sets were heady and exotic to me at the time.

In 2008 I got the collection passed to me and it was the collection of finders, and not buyers. Nothing fancy.

Nevertheless, it was a start and fortunately, I could find plenty of silver halves from bank boxes and loads of old small change were returning to circulation with all the counters in place.

I found tons of stuff.

I also have a huge pile of sorted non-US coins from all over the world, again, because of the counters. Huge.

So, I will end up with something nice and fairly expansive for the average guy and will need to pass it on.

I will sell only if pressed and I know selling in a hurry is never good for the seller.

My OCD was just developing when I was six, or, I was in training to utilize my afflictions for hoarding, sorting and chonic pattern recognizing objects.

I naturally collect rocks, minerals, fossils and lots of other stuff which accentuate my love of science, outdoor adventuring, firearms and electromechanical devices. (I love old telephones for instance) Coins are a just small part of my greater whole.

So, what will become of your collections?

Have you made a plan or will it just become something your family will have to deal with someday?

I know most dealers are just waiting for you to die, and those left behind to get rid of it.

0CD
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What Becomes of your Collection?

Postby Beau » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:59 pm

I have a large coin collection, expanding everyday.

I`am single, divorced.

I have a brother that likes old coins, but is not into collecting, so I guess he will get
my collection then he will not sell. his wife would get my collection later if something happened to him, that is not what I want.

I don`t have any kids, but I do have a girl that I raised until she was 3 years old,
she is now 21.
I put her mom through college then it was good by.
the little girl now 21 has always come to visit me fairly often over the years and hollidays.

I took her to the bank to look at the collection she said sell it and leave me the money.

so I don`t know what will happen to my collection.

I hope I have time to sell it and put the money where I want it to go ?

I don`t know where that would be except to leave a note to sell it here on RC if the site is still up.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:26 pm

My wife says if she has to get rid of my "junk" she is just going to dump everything at the bank. Don't know if the bank will even accept my Morgans or Indian Heads. I suppose if she dumps the Indian Heads and Walkers and Franklins and all my Merc and Rosie dimes at the self serve coin counter they will probably accept them. I keep telling her dumping a penny that is worth $150.00 for face value at the bank is kind of stupid, but she wants absolutely nothing to do with any of my coins. I know for darn sure my tons of copper will go to the bank. I am trying to get her to agree to just do nothing with my coins and let the kid deal with them in 50 years. They might be worth quite a bit by then.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby zerocd » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:39 pm

NDFarmer wrote:My wife says if she has to get rid of my "junk" she is just going to dump everything at the bank. Don't know if the bank will even accept my Morgans or Indian Heads. I suppose if she dumps the Indian Heads and Walkers and Franklins and all my Merc and Rosie dimes at the self serve coin counter they will probably accept them. I keep telling her dumping a penny that is worth $150.00 for face value at the bank is kind of stupid, but she wants absolutely nothing to do with any of my coins. I know for darn sure my tons of copper will go to the bank. I am trying to get her to agree to just do nothing with my coins and let the kid deal with them in 50 years. They might be worth quite a bit by then.

Maybe the coins could be put in a trust of some sort?

Guys, you are illustrating my point.

Perhaps we should find a future buyer now, maybe here, in exchange for some reasonable amount for a descendant or friend.

If we leave the collection to someone who will not appreciate it, it will be given away for pennies on the dollar (lol@pun)

I have a monster rock and mineral collection. I plan to give it to a suitable educational entity unless I find the right kind of recipient.

It will not be about money. Only passion or to inspire passion of knowledge.

The coins are different, the PM's suit my idea of preservation of wealth, especially for hard times.

The rest of the coins are....connected to them with the concept of....wampum.

0CD
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:07 pm

We had this conversation on ORC.

Our wives will bury us...by the grace of God.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics