Numismatic VS. Melt value of Gold Coins

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Numismatic VS. Melt value of Gold Coins

Postby Elcid69 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:30 pm

As the price of PM goes down from previous highs, can coins like $20 Saint Gaudens be a better value to buy as compared to other gold coins or bullion?
I want to buy " War Nickel's & Steel Pennies"
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Re: Numismatic VS. Melt value of Gold Coins

Postby fb101 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:02 pm

I have heard recently that many common ones are trading just a few $ over melt right now.
As far as comparing, depends what you're comparing to.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Sat May 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Elcid69 wrote:As the price of PM goes down from previous highs, can coins like $20 Saint Gaudens be a better value to buy as compared to other gold coins or bullion?

I haven't been around coins long enough to be an expert, but it seems to me that people try to unload their numismatic coins during dips to buy more bullion, and numi premiums seem to go up when they think bullion is over priced.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rob72830 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 am

Elcid69 wrote:As the price of PM goes down from previous highs, can coins like $20 Saint Gaudens be a better value to buy as compared to other gold coins or bullion?

I don't think so unless you are buying rare coins. Rare coins will hold their value due to their low mintage, condition, and demand. Common dates/mintages/low grade usually trade pretty close to melt. In my opinion, the bullion market does affect the value of all gold and silver coins except for the rare which are going to sell way over melt simply due to high demand and low supply.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Return to USA Numismatics