Your thoughts?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Your thoughts?

Postby Coinage » Mon May 21, 2012 2:11 am

Please put this into perspective for me

I suddenly have this urge to start collecting complete sets of coins. Indian head cents all the way up through half dollars and dollars. I currently have been putting together Whitman folders of coins I find in circulation as well as searching rolls from the bank, "upgrading" coins as I go.

Now I'd love to start putting together AU - BU sets. I know this is a tall task but I was wondering what's the best way to go about this? Buy Mint sets and bust them up? Or buy coins as singles? Or as a "complete AU-BU set" already? Oh, and what about storing and displaying such sets? I was thinking about buying Dansco or Whitman Albums, Or even make my own. (I got this idea from browsing google)

- Intercept Shield 2x2's (must keep Lincolns red, must keep the Lincolns red,)
- Avery labels (80 per page) printed with the date, MM, and mintage numbers (if available)
- Eagle Coin Page holders, to house the 2x2 Intercept Shields (20 per page)
- Century Acid-Free Clam Shell 3" - 3 ring binder

(Which I am beginning to see that the cost of this will add up rather quickly.)

Something similar to this, all credit goes to the original poster who came up with this idea.
Coinage

Re: Your thoughts?

Postby barrytrot » Mon May 21, 2012 10:13 am

Definitely do not even consider opening "mint sets". For any coins older than 1960 you will pay a humongous premium.

Other than that, all are viable pathways.

Since I only collect coins in PCGS holders, I would recommend that. Your coins will have a higher value, on average, that way. Although you pay more most of the time to acquire them as well.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Coinage » Mon May 21, 2012 8:16 pm

barrytrot wrote:Definitely do not even consider opening "mint sets". For any coins older than 1960 you will pay a humongous premium.

Other than that, all are viable pathways.

Since I only collect coins in PCGS holders, I would recommend that. Your coins will have a higher value, on average, that way. Although you pay more most of the time to acquire them as well.

I was also thinking about buying only coins in PCGS slabs as well.. so I suppose all options are on the table. How do you store your collection? Any special binders or boxes?
Coinage

Postby barrytrot » Tue May 22, 2012 2:33 pm

barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Coinage » Mon May 28, 2012 2:09 pm

I am a bit undecided here. Considering I bought all new coin folders without reading much into folders vs albums, a big oopsie by me. I plan on using them for my "secondary" collection (lower grades) and keep my higher grade stuff in interceptor 2x2's or maybe even go the PCGS slabbed route on the really high value coins.

Then I got thinking even more.. I could just say the hell with it and scrap the coin folders all together and go with the album route. With albums though I noticed there's two versions. One that includes proofs and one that doesn't. What are your thoughts about busting up proof sets to put proofs into an album? Seems kinda silly to me I personally rather keep my proofs in the original proof holders.

Also if I scrap the coin folders all together will there be any resell value on these folders to maybe try and recoup some of the cost?
Coinage

Return to USA Numismatics