1909-S VDmayBe ??

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

1909-S VDmayBe ??

Postby NHsorter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:58 pm

At first I was thinking no, but after snapping a couple at just the right angle with the USB Microscope, I am almost certain that I can see a VDB. In just the right light with a loupe you can barely make something out. Just barely enough to prompt me to scan and microscope it. What do you guys think?

1.) Would they even grade this if I sent it in?
2.) Who wants to buy it and what is your offer? :D think I am just going to send it in.

This was not from roll searching, it was in a whitman folder in the 1909-S slot. I figured that I should pop it out and double check it. I got it in a lot, but I figure I have $40 into this coin.

On the USB Microscope pics I swear that I can make out the letters as well as the periods, or dots, after each letter. Anyone agree?
Last edited by NHsorter on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: 1909-S VDmayBe ??

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:13 am

Bump for new pic with skillfully placed arrows. What would you do with this coin? If the graders only use loupes I don't know if they will definitively authenticate this, but if they use high powered magnification, I think I might get it. Anyone have experience with this at all?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:55 am

I have to believe an organization like PCGS can authenticate this for you, not just based on the existence of the "VDB", but any other markers on the coin that would be unique to the four dies that were used.

Some possibly useful information regarding the dies that were used:

http://www.cointalk.com/content/15-how- ... -real.html
http://www.bakercoins.net/learn/article ... s.vdb.html
http://www.coinnetwork.com/forum/topics ... feit-coins
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby brian0918 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:00 am

"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:55 am

Any of the grading companies would grade this coin.

My opinion is though its NOT a S VDB. If I am lighing up the greenish/blacking smudge to your zoomed in micoscope pictures right then the arrows where you point to the VDB are off. I believe the VDB should start more centered to the left of the smudge.

Just my 2 copper cents worth. Holding the coin in hand is much easier to see.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 am

Last night I grabbed a plain old 1909VDB and overlapped the coins. Looking through a loupe at them together, it looks like the "letters" are in the correct position. When I get home tonight I will confirm and I'll also try to get some better images. I'll mess around with the macro on my camera to see if that will get better results than the scanner.

highroller4321 wrote: Holding the coin in hand is much easier to see.
Holding the coin in hand, there is not really much to see :lol: You need some pretty big magnification to make anything out on this one. The coin has a lot of wear.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks for the links Brian!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics