Nice old US gold ($3, $5 CC's) *BREAKING NEWS*

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Nice old US gold ($3, $5 CC's) *BREAKING NEWS*

Postby Nickelmeister » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Need some help here.
Any thoughts on grading?
Fair market value? Offers???
Last edited by Nickelmeister on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Nice old US gold ($3, $5 CC's)

Postby daviscfad » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:16 pm

where is the 3?
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelmeister » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Whoops, must have been chopped off!
Will repost in a bit
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby daviscfad » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:46 pm

If real I would say 1000 a piece on the 5 dollar pieces uncertified. The three would probably be in the 6-700 ballpark if real. Not being certified
Spencer Davis

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:08 pm

Authentic 1891-cc from coinfacts

This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:10 pm

There is only a soft market for 91-CC's... more like $750-$800 raw. Tougher to sell for more $$$ when graded (I know, counter-intuitive)

I can't tell if the $3 is good or not... need high res pics. There are a couple PUPs for known fakes, but need better pics to see them. Otherwise, it looks to be OK, and AU at min... better to get this graded. Probably a $1300 coin
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Nickelmeister » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Based on where I got them, I'd bet the farm that they're definitely not fake.
Thanks for all the input guys, I am pretty happy with my purchase.
The little old lady who sold them to me probably has another $40-50K worth of old US gold coins.
No more $3 or CC's though...
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:32 pm

All sold, thanks for looking :)
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby daviscfad » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Someone got a nice set of coins
Spencer Davis

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasTT » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:41 pm

They going in the melt lot you are sending to me?
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Nickelmeister wrote:Based on where I got them, I'd bet the farm that they're definitely not fake.
The little old lady who sold them to me probably has another $40-50K worth of old US gold coins.

is this the same old lady that thogey talks about
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:05 pm

TXBullion wrote:
Nickelmeister wrote:Based on where I got them, I'd bet the farm that they're definitely not fake.

is this the same old lady that thogey talks about

I think I know the lady.....is it....

She just pile drove the old geezer’s corps into the ground, which is the best thing that ever happened to him, and is now off to sell his coins for pennies on the dollar.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby daviscfad » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:06 pm

It's the same little old lady that most gold buyers like to take advantage of. Glad one of the good guys made the deal
Spencer Davis

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:14 pm

daviscfad wrote:It's the same little old lady that most gold buyers like to take advantage of. Glad one of the good guys made the deal

+1 for her for finding one of the good guys.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:19 pm

One of the best threads on RC:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19089&p=178213#p178213
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Nickelmeister » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Breaking news: these coins turned out to be FAKE!!!

The good Doc made his diagnosis yesterday and at 6:35 pm pronounced our deal official dead :)

Chris has volunteered to post some educational photos and information to prevent other members for falling victim to this type of high quality fake.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Nice old US gold ($3, $5 CC's) *BREAKING NEWS*

Postby Thogey » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Ha!

So the old dead geezer has the last laugh.

The plot thickens. Did elderly old widow know they were fake?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Folks these are not your run of the mill fakes. These are gem dandys crafted of correct alloy with proper specs of weight and dimension. These coins were likely made years ago from later period US Saint double eagles.

Depressions next to the mint mark are give aways on the 91-cc’s. Both coins exhibit the same die markers throughout and even have similar simulated “bag marks”.

“Spikes” or die gouges are never seen (to my knowledge) on authentic period gold. This effect is a byproduct of careless die preparation by the bad guys. Shame too, I have this coin at MS-62 which would command a handsome price if it were authentic.

Moral of the story: Be careful. Know what you are buying. If you don’t know the coins buy them cheaply enough that the sting will not hurt so badly. Buy only from respected folks. That way if there is a problem it is handled in a professional way. Lastly, we all make mistakes. That’s part of the learning process. Our mistakes are only truly misfortunes if we do not walk away smarter and better in some way.

As a side note: Nickelmeister is very honorable and is a working poster child of TXbullion’s description of integrity. I have no reservations about dealing with him in the future. I rather welcome the chance as I know him to be of honorable character that places his own principles above profit. And folks, that’s something money can’t buy.

Keep building your skill set,
Doc Rodebaugh

Reference book: Us Gold Counterfeit Detection Guide by Bill Fivaz and Randy Campbell
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby slickeast » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:52 am

Mark, I hope you bought them at less than melt. Even though they fake, the still have gold value so you are not at a total loss
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:19 am

Those are a couple of serious fakes! I feel sorry for Nickelmeister - like Peter says I hope you didn't pay over spot. But way to go Doc for spotting this level of detail. That's way above my coin pay grade.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Nickelmeister » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:59 am

I paid well over spot. After cherry-picking the old lady's dead husband's collection for CC mint marks at MS grade $3 coin, it was the right thing to do.

I will get hurt on this transaction financially, but I am glad that I ended up passing them on to someone with the knowledge to identify them as what they are. They will be melted and taken out of circulation. Chris has been very understanding and it was a learning experience for everyone!
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:36 am

Nickelmeister wrote:I paid well over spot. After cherry-picking the old lady's dead husband's collection for CC mint marks at MS grade $3 coin, it was the right thing to do.

I will get hurt on this transaction financially, but I am glad that I ended up passing them on to someone with the knowledge to identify them as what they are. They will be melted and taken out of circulation. Chris has been very understanding and it was a learning experience for everyone!

Very admirable and I figured this would be the case.
TXBullion

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:51 am

Sorry to hear about the authenticity... would have been a brighter day for everyone involved if they were real.

When there are questions of authenticity, I decided a while ago to never put my money on the table. I've been burnt just like this particular deal, but I've also come out ahead. Raw coins are risky. There are ways to reduce the risk. Rodebaugh explained a key element to buying raw coins... education. But, please also consider this:

In order to keep me in the deal, I will offer to have the coin graded at no cost. If the seller declines, then I'm at no loss. If the seller accepts, then we agree on a sales price and submit the coin. After this, I take on the liability of grading fee only, and have the upside of numismatic premium... it's a little like buying options. If the coin comes back bad, then I'm out a grading fee (part of business), and if the coin is good, then I pay the agreed upon price and have a professionally graded coin, with no future doubts of authenticity, and something which should sell more easily at a higher price.

Some sellers want immediate payment. Usually, that is a red flag.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Return to USA Numismatics