Grade this Indian!

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Grade this Indian!

Postby rsk1963 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:01 pm

:clap:

Found this little guy today in a brick. I know he's higher end, but how high? (scan is ok, at best) there are feather strands the whole way to the end of the feather. little grimey but oh my, oh my do I love a "thogey mom" same brick also yielded another indian + 79 wheaties HA!

So what say you graders where would this fella fall? Thanks in advance! May you all find a thogey mom real soon.
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 577 times
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Re: Grade this Indian!

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Real nice.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RedRockGirl » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:24 pm

I think he looks at least 3/4 Indian. There may be a white great grandfather somewhere in his past. ;)
Nice coin!
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 pm

RedRockGirl wrote:I think he looks at least 3/4 Indian.

He is a she. :mrgreen:
From-http://www.procoins.com/group.php?toc=1170&m=1
The Indian Head Cent first issued in 1859 is lady Liberty wearing an feathered headdress. (The word "LIBERTY" appears on the band of the headdress, though not mentioned in the treasury's records, the use of "LIBERTY" on the headdress at that time meant the figure was lady Liberty depicted as a Native American.) During the 1st year of issue the reverse had a laurel wreath, which was later change to an oak wreath with a shield at the top. The Indian head pennies were designed by James B. Longacre.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RedRockGirl » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Well I never. It's not her best look. I can go to bed early. I learned something new. Thanks!
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby NiBullionCu » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 pm

I'm going to go with Extra Fine (EF40)

Heres a link to the ANAC's grading of Indian Head ¢'s:

http://coins.about.com/od/coingrading/tp/How-To-Grade-Indian-Head-Pennies-What-Is-The-Grade-Of-My-Indian-Head-Cent.htm
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rsk1963 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:35 pm

awesome.

Thanks very much for the link.
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Definitely an outstanding find.

I grade it VF35 or EF40. The crud and the potentially altered surfaces would likely prevent PCGS or NCG from grading it anything other than "Genuine."

I'd look much worse than that after being passed around for 109 years...and I don't even have any feathers on my head.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics