Ikes and Kennedy's: Are there variations worth looking for?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Ikes and Kennedy's: Are there variations worth looking for?

Postby dixiebooks » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Stopped by a CU branch today and was chatting with a teller (waiting for the vault teller to hopefully sell me some bags of pennies - she didn't) and asked for Ikes and Kennedys as I always do. He said he had some but had already pulled out several that were worth more as collectibles. He mentioned some dollar figures that seemed crazy to me. Other than silver examples, are there any special variations worth looking for? Thanks. -james wagner
James.M.Wagner
Coppers FS in Upper East TN or Central AL and points in between. PM for more info.
eBid, my favorite greedBay alternative: http://us.ebid.net/perl/normal.cgi?ref= ... ister-main
dixiebooks
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Ikes and Kennedy's: Are there variations worth looking f

Postby NHsorter » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Should have bought them anyway. A lot of people pull 64 and older but don't know about the 40%ers
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby dixiebooks » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Oh, I did buy them anyway. I use them for tips. If I get waaay too many, I'll just find a creative way to spend them. When I bought my pickup truck, I paid $1500 in halves and 1500 in cash. -james
James.M.Wagner
Coppers FS in Upper East TN or Central AL and points in between. PM for more info.
eBid, my favorite greedBay alternative: http://us.ebid.net/perl/normal.cgi?ref= ... ister-main
dixiebooks
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 4 bit » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:33 am

The Ike Group has lots of information about Ike varieties and die clash marks.

One variety to look for is the 1972 Type 2. I've searched through thousands of Ikes and I've yet to find one. The 1972 types can be identified by looking closely at the Earth on the reverse. Here's a page that shows examples of the three types.

The 1973 and 1973D Ikes were issued only in mint sets, not for circulation. I found my first 1973 last weekend.
4 bit
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hobo finds » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:07 am

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics