Uncirculated Presidential Dollar

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Uncirculated Presidential Dollar

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:25 am

I've got quite a few of these, all presidents, all mint marks. Are they worth more than a dollar?

- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Uncirculated Presidential Dollar

Postby barrytrot » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:35 am

They can be occasionally sold for a profit, but you will probably have to work to find buyers as they are thinly collected and those that do collect can obtain them from 100 sources in 5 seconds already.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 am

I'm trying to work my way through Dad's coin collection for my mother. My intent is to sell whatever is worth the bother of selling, and just take the rest to the bank, after prying the coins out of the plastic covers.

I'm thinking that if its not silver and isn't worth 2x face, its not worth the energy it takes to sell.

If the coin is silver, maybe 25% numi value over melt would be the threshold of taking the time to sell it.

The ultimate goal is to convert the useless, non-valuable coins into stackable silver with little to no numi value. And convert all the valuable numi coins into the same.

I appreciate any comments or advice.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:09 pm

I also have two boxes of these:

Twelve uncirc. coins per roll. Are they worth more than a buck each?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby ihavecoins » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:59 pm

If anyone is in the MA/RI area I will buy them from you if you are interested.

I also look for collections.
www.ihavecoins.com
Buying and selling numismatic and bullion
ihavecoins
Penny Pincher Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:50 pm

Try contacting an auctioneer they usually like anything coin related just communicate your terms. They may just buy outright from you or consign them insisting you wont settle for less than full face value.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm in Idaho.

Why hassle with an auctioneer if the best I can do is demand "full face value", hoping to get that? I'd rather just bust open the plastic and take them to the bank.

Is there any hope of getting more than face for the presidentials?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Computer Jones » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:36 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:I'm in Idaho.

Why hassle with an auctioneer if the best I can do is demand "full face value", hoping to get that? I'd rather just bust open the plastic and take them to the bank.

Is there any hope of getting more than face for the presidentials?

Right now probably not, unless you happen to have one with an error.
Look up the errors and check 'em out, you might get lucky.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 am

I have one 2007 Washington with an error, there is no text on the edge. Its is a holder marked PCGS MS66.

Today I'm busting open all the tubes and capsules to deposit them, to pay for 50oz of Ag.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:41 pm

The bank wouldnt take them rolled??

Also the error coin is a cool $30+ :thumbup:

Were there any 2012 or 2013 NIFC ones?
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:05 pm

I see the same error coin on feebay, on buy-it-now for $100 to $200, so I guess your estimate of $30 for an actual sale price is accurate.

I turned in 703 loose presidentials after a good hour and a half of plastic destruction. The bank took the 18 mint rolls unopened. The other coins were in 12-coin tubes from the scam outfit my dad bought the useless junk from. Some were in individual coin capsules, on paper cards touting how good the coins supposedly were. Most of those capsules I could pry open with my fingernails, but some required crushing with slip-joint pliers to burst the plastic. There were also some 4-coin mint sets. Some of those had the frosted coin look, so I guess they were NIFC. The plastic cases on those could be twisted hard to break the plastic and then pop the coins out of the inner holder.

I deposited the cash to one of our RC member's bank account, he says he is sending the 50 oz to me tomorrow.

I first posted info on these coins here more than a week ago, nobody seemed to be interested in them. So to me they were just junk metal, only worth face value. Converting that value to silver was the thing to do.

Also today, a guy answered my ad on craigslist. I paid $115 for $9.05 face in Mercurys, Rosies, Standing Liberty halves, and one 1921 Morgan; 12.7 x face was a good deal today, considering I got rid of useless presidentials.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Sounds like you did what most of us probably woulda done. Congrats on the CL deal. Was the 50oz a giant bar or smaller form? Did you keep at least a few of them in memory of your dad?

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:08 pm

I have probably $1000 in the coins 1st year in the original string and sons wrappers uncirculated. Don't know if I have any of the error coins.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:02 am

Aren't they pretty much all uncirculated? You never see them being used.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:41 am

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:Sounds like you did what most of us probably woulda done. Congrats on the CL deal. Was the 50oz a giant bar or smaller form? Did you keep at least a few of them in memory of your dad?

-The Great

The 50oz was 40 rounds and a 10oz bar. The CL ad draws inquiries every other day or so. Some folks want to sell a rare coin, others decide I'm not offering enough. And some folks sell for 90% of spot, my offering price.

I still have some state quarters and old nickels from Dad's collection that I will get rid of. I looked through the nicks, there was only one 35% Ag.

Then there is the laptop satchel full of Ag coins. I will soon start going carefully through those and pick out the coins with a numi value of 25% or more over melt. Those will be for sale or trade here. I will need some help in grading the coins and pricing them. My goal is to convert those into non-numi US Ag coins and .999 bullion.

I want to end up with as many TrOzAg as possible, from converting his collection. The only exceptions will be the few Au coins, I'll keep those as they are.

I'm doing all this for my mother. The last day for Dad in the hospital, he told me and Mom that he wanted me to have the coin collection. I told him that as far as I was concerned, it was Mom's and I would take care of it for her. These last few weeks I've been going over their assets, the vast majority is in 4 annuities that still have 9 years before they are unencumbered to convert to something else. I advised my Mom (86 yo) to consider investing some of it into other sectors, as upon death the cash can be withdrawn, but ultimately it is her decision on what to do. She has chosen to keep the annuities as they are. Three of the four produce the monthly income that supplements Mom's social security. The 4th just accumulates and will end with more value than when it began. That is if the dollar doesn't crash, the .gov doesn't steal everyone's retirement accounts, and all the other scenarios fail to come to pass.

That is why I'm converting the coin collection into as much Ag as possible. To ensure/assure/insure that Mom won't be destitute if things go bad.
Last edited by IdahoCopper on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:43 am

inflationhawk wrote:Aren't they pretty much all uncirculated? You never see them being used.

Yes, all the presidentials in the collection were uncirculated. No rarity there. The Susans and some of the Sacws were circulated.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics