Strange penny found (questions)

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Strange penny found (questions)

Postby dirty fingers » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:12 am

Had someone answer one of my CL adds for jars of change wanted. Got a few nice coins from it, a couple rose's 3 steel wheats, some wheats from the teens, and one 'strange' penny.

This penny is a 96d. It really stood out. I had 38.00+ from the buy, pulled a couple steel wheats (shiny, nearly AU). I found another steel, and then I found this one. It looked strange. I thought it was steel but rusty. Then I started looking closer. For one thing, it is almost a mm larger in diameter than most pennies. It also looks like it is poured (counterfeit 96d cent????). The weight is right (2.49g from an accurate scale). But the look is VERY off. I metal detect also, so know what a nitrated zinc looks like, and this one does not. It really looks like sand poured. The entire coin is pimpled. It shows well under 7x, and really well under 10x or 20x.

Also, this coin is rejected with 'proper' copper and 'proper' zinc out of the ryedale. I can get it to accept with a zinc coin in the comparator, but I have to adjust so far CC that it starts accepting most wheats, even the 40's.

I really wish I had a camera that could take pics of this thing. The lettering stands out, like steel. I almost think it was missing the copper plating, but the weight is 'almost' dead on.

Anyone have any ideas about just what this ugly thing could be? I have never seen one like this before. Ugly, but does not look like any buried coin (metal detector) I have seen before.
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lime, ...and a shot of tequila.
dirty fingers
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Strange penny found (questions)

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:56 am

We need photos. Probably just damaged.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby dirty fingers » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:03 am

But why would it be larger diameter than a normal penny. It is noticeable, at least 1mm, but probably 1.5-2mm larger in diam.

I will see if I can get a hi res scan of the thing.
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lime, ...and a shot of tequila.
dirty fingers
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:24 am

Maybe it was crushed which removed the copper plating and flattened it out a bit?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics