90% vs ms graded Peace or Morgan Dollars

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

90% vs ms graded Peace or Morgan Dollars

Postby robroy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

The other day I had stopped into a coin shop that I make infrequent purchases and bought some ASE as Christmas presents and some 90% dimes. As I was wrapping up my purchases the owner of the shop made a comment to another customer that the only way to make any return in numismatics is to buy MS graded Morgan or Peace dollars and hang onto them for about 10 years. And that any one buying 90% is almost wasting his time.

I was wondering what the thoughts are on the topic.

Thnaks...............
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 90% vs ms graded Peace or Morgan Dollars

Postby Rosco » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:44 am

I'm Stacking to save us not to make money by flipping graded coin :thumbup:
I feel that any Silver or Gold stacked it a good thing :D
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:10 am

I think he is just trying to push what he is stuck on. There are way more ways to make $ then just on numi Morgans and Peace. As example just go back a few years. You could have picked up buffalo's graded 70 for nothing. I know, I'm kicking myself for not having more... To me the key on numi is to "make the find" and slab it. Or in the case of buffalo's be there from the start. Heck, look at the proof ASE or the rare low mintage coin in a mint set. better yet, look at coins that have low populations in the grade. That will make you way more money then just those 2 coins.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:11 am

.......and I use to not like the graded stuff...
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:47 am

Numismatic coin vs. PMs as intrinsic metal value are two different classes of product.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rsk1963 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:06 am

rodebaugh does the graded coins all the time (find under graded pieces) and have them re-graded.

90% you can make some money on, just have to know prices to buy and sell. I would think reddirtcoins has this guy pegged about right.
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby gubni » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:52 pm

Sounds like atypical pessimist.
"Every man I meet is in some way my superior."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:35 pm

According to the Morgan Dollar Report, since 2002 about a supermajority of Morgans in all qualities and verities average return are in the mid to low single digits. The highest loss for that time was 1887 O MS64 -21%. Most losses (very few) were -5% and less. Noted high return Morgans are: 1901 F12 - MS-60 @ 19.5% to 26% and the 1899 F12 @ 19.5%. All percentages are annual returns.

Other Morgans with good returns include: 1892 CC F12 - MS63; 1893 O F12 - XF40; 1894 F12 - MS60: and 1895 F12 - PF65 all had double digit returns.

I've got silver at just under $5 for all of 2002 (call it $5) now at $20. (Engineer check my math) I figure that at just around a 12% average annual return. So unless you could cherry pick the Morgans back in 2002, and my math is good 90% is the winner.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby rainsonme » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:25 am

I agree with Rosco --- any stacking is a good thing. I think 2014 will be a very difficult year for "stackers", but the value of PM's will gain not long after that, and I expect I will be very happy for what I have held onto.

For pure silver play, morgans and peace dollars are very poor way to stack silver. For about about $15 worth of silver you have to pay $20-$25. both 90% junk and silver rounds are much better buys for the silver. but i have found a lot of high grade morgans selling at $20-25 that might gain over time.

I do both. I love the high grade morgans, even if they are common years (but not 1921 -- I never buy 1921), and I cannot resists buying the early morgans in high grade. But I know I am getting a MUCH better buy on silver with the 90% junk.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics