Picked up Two Bust Halfs (Thoughts Please)

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Picked up Two Bust Halfs (Thoughts Please)

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:11 pm

[url="http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/TheJonasCollegeFund/media/DSC05779_zpsecf26029.jpg.html"]Image[/url]

[url="http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/TheJonasCollegeFund/media/DSC05780_zpscb1820e5.jpg.html"]Image[/url]

[url="http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/TheJonasCollegeFund/media/DSC05781_zps7cf780dd.jpg.html"]Image[/url]

[url="http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/TheJonasCollegeFund/media/DSC05782_zps820095a4.jpg.html"]Image[/url]
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Picked up Two Bust Halfs (Thoughts Please)

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:30 pm

summoning member John Reich
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby John Reich » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:43 pm

The 1808 is an Overton 103 variety (key points: Obverse: left base of "1" in 1808 is weak/missing. Reverse: "AM" in AMERICA solidly joined at the base. Also, note the position of the letter "I" in PLURIBUS in relation to the "T" in STATES). R1 variety.

The 1830 is tougher to attribute, but I think it's an Overton 118 variety (key points: Obverse: bottom of "3" in 1830 is high in relation to the 8. Reverse: look on the shield at the 5th group of vertical lines going from left to right--the middle line in that group runs below the shield down into the eagle's lower body, nearly touching the claw. Also, the "I"/"T" relationship in PLURIBUS/STATES seems right for 118) R3 variety.

Neither coin is counterfeit. Actually, in these grades a contemporary counterfeit half is worth just as much as a genuine half!

Check the edge lettering on the coins too. It should read "FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR" all the way around the coin. If the lettering is doubled, or distorted in some way due to how it was run thru the edge dies, it can add value to the coin. The edge lettering was applied before the coins were struck by running the coin thru a machine with 2 parallel bars, one side read "FIFTY CENTS OR" and the other "HALF A DOLLAR". Turning a handle moved one bar, rotating the coin and applying the edge lettering as it ran thru the machine.

Thanks for putting the photos of the coins up! It's always fun to study these early American coins. Hope this helps.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:32 am

:clap: on the purchase :thumbup:
:thumbup: on the expertise :clap:
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:36 am

John Reich wrote:The 1808 is an Overton 103 variety (key points: Obverse: left base of "1" in 1808 is weak/missing. Reverse: "AM" in AMERICA solidly joined at the base. Also, note the position of the letter "I" in PLURIBUS in relation to the "T" in STATES). R1 variety.

The 1830 is tougher to attribute, but I think it's an Overton 118 variety (key points: Obverse: bottom of "3" in 1830 is high in relation to the 8. Reverse: look on the shield at the 5th group of vertical lines going from left to right--the middle line in that group runs below the shield down into the eagle's lower body, nearly touching the claw. Also, the "I"/"T" relationship in PLURIBUS/STATES seems right for 118) R3 variety.

Neither coin is counterfeit. Actually, in these grades a contemporary counterfeit half is worth just as much as a genuine half!

Check the edge lettering on the coins too. It should read "FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR" all the way around the coin. If the lettering is doubled, or distorted in some way due to how it was run thru the edge dies, it can add value to the coin. The edge lettering was applied before the coins were struck by running the coin thru a machine with 2 parallel bars, one side read "FIFTY CENTS OR" and the other "HALF A DOLLAR". Turning a handle moved one bar, rotating the coin and applying the edge lettering as it ran thru the machine.

Thanks for putting the photos of the coins up! It's always fun to study these early American coins. Hope this helps.

The man is good 8-) :clap:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby plus1hdcp » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
John Reich wrote:The 1808 is an Overton 103 variety (key points: Obverse: left base of "1" in 1808 is weak/missing. Reverse: "AM" in AMERICA solidly joined at the base. Also, note the position of the letter "I" in PLURIBUS in relation to the "T" in STATES). R1 variety.

The man is good 8-) :clap:

Great explanation - I learn something everyday on this forum.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics