What is the coolest coin you found?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

What is the coolest coin you found?

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Doesn't have to be the oldest or rarest. Just a coin you'd think you would have never found. For example, I have never found a 1970 Kennedy half yet but have found some Barber halves and a Seated Liberty half, but finding a 1970 half for me would be cool. I think Barbers and SL are rarer in the wild, but OK, YMMV. The coolest coin I have found via CRH'ing has to be a 1996-S 90% Kennedy half-dollar. I don't know. Something about a contemporary 90% coin that was issued in limited production that turns up in a coin roll.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What is the coolest coin you found?

Postby Dano » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:47 am

Lately, I'd have to say a 1943 dime from Newfoundland in a BWR of dimes. It is by far the rarest coin I own at about half the mintage of a 1916-D Merc.
But about 20+ years ago I got a 1936-S Rhode Island Tercentenary commemorative half from a local bank. They had no idea what it was and I got it for face value. Probably the coolest single find I've ever had!
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MrIncredible » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:19 am

While my boys and I had the coin roll searching bug earlier this year, we found an 1893 columbian commemorative half dollar in a box of halves. We we started this we figured we would eventually find some walking liberty's but never did. So to find something much older was quite a shock. A definite keeper for my sons collection!
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rainsonme » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:01 am

I have found 3 "love token" dimes over the past 5 years, the oldest 1858, and the newest 1875. These are very interesting because soemone personalized the back side wtih styalized initials.
I also got a silver nazi coin from 1943 with the swaztica (sp?) and Von Hindenberg's picture --- that may not be a rare coin, but it was an interesting coin to find in circulation as a dime ---- who passed that on without noticing?
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby interested » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:19 pm

I found a 2008 S dime proof. I was keeping it in my wallet for good luck, but I lost it :(
interested

Postby plus1hdcp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:20 am

Honest ABE smoking a funny looking cigar
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:04 am

Coolest coin found- Wisconsin extra leaf (low) quarter. Let me add one that I'm shocked that I haven't seen in a long time- I go through lots of boxes of pennies and nickels. I've found plenty of war nickels and a few Buffalos. Yet I haven't seen a single 1943 steel cent, and they made over a billion of them. Also, it is not like the steel cents are valuable at all. I guess there are some things that are hoarded and just not put back into circulation.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:54 am

Recyclersteve wrote: Yet I haven't seen a single 1943 steel cent, and they made over a billion of them. Also, it is not like the steel cents are valuable at all. I guess there are some things that are hoarded and just not put back into circulation.
The also get stuck on coin counter magnets we find a few there.

ImageUntitled by henrysmedford, on Flickr
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics