Going to my first coin show!!!!

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Going to my first coin show!!!!

Postby Sullysullinburg » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:58 pm

Ok so as you can tell for the title I'm going to my first coin show! The Ocean County Coin Club is doing it and it is here 400 Arnold Avenue Point Pleasant Beach. Please let me know if you are going. So this is my first coin show and I have no idea what I'm doing so so if you guys could give me some tips trick and guidelines it would be much appreciated.
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Re: Going to my first coin show!!!!

Postby Rosco » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:20 am

First few times Go early an buy only .9999 close to spot ;)
Just look for items that you think You would like an perhaps buy One
you need to have a buddy to check reality for you
I need that above $100 your budget may be larger but a reality check is still nice

Small shows may have new dealer who is cheep after you get comfortable, then pay the Bourse fee an scan for new dealers or have your I will buy 90% Coins price firm in your mind.

A Bourse fee allows admittance Early

Advise is worth what you pay for it 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:33 am

I remember my first coin show. My friend who I went with gave me sound advice.
#1. I don't have to buy anything.
#2. Negotiate for a deal or walk away if you can't get what you want.
#3. Ask questions, pay attention and learn everything you can
#4 keep cash in different pockets - remember you are looking but they are watching you too.
#5 have fun
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cooyon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Unless it's the deal of a lifetime, don't buy the first things you see Walk around the entire show and see what is available, do price comparisons, take notes if needed ( I carry a pocket notebook ), get business cards from as many sellers as possible, let them know you are looking to buy only if the price is right. Good ideas above WRT keeping cash in different places...I keep cash in bundles of $200-250 with rubber bands around them in one pocket and $500 bundles in another pocket. If you are buying numismatic items, be sure to have your want lists in some type of notebook or 3-ring binder. Main thing is to stay calm, have fun, and find out when the next show is! Other shows may have flyers advertizing them, grab those too!
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:41 am

Security is ultra important to consider carefully. Think like a robber. If you walk out of the show with a nametag which says "XYZ Coin Show", you may be a target. Be very careful approaching your car. You might consider wearing one of those hidden robber's pouches and keeping most of your cash in it. Don't wear any flashy clothing or expensive jewelry- the risk outweighs the reward. Instead of carrying an expensive briefcase, consider a backpack instead. But don't put really valuable stuff in it. If you are robbed someone will likely ask for the backpack right away, so make sure it has only bulky but cheap stuff in it. If you have something you own that is counterfeit and looks real, you might take that as a decoy. Take it from someone who's been a victim of crime more than once before.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sullysullinburg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:18 am

What the heck is up with all this security!!! Do they try to steal stuff from you like not witha bad price but right out of your pocket Danm???
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm in NY. We have several big coin shows in my area. While there haven't been any big problems (armed robbery), prudence should certainly be exercised. I have a few police officer friends who do plain clothes security at these shows. Better safe than sorry.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics