Help with this chart from 1878. US mint gold and silver coin

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Help with this chart from 1878. US mint gold and silver coin

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:07 pm

I found this small book from the 1880s in my late mom stuff. The book is small and has over 500 pages of facts and tables. Any ideas of what the D.C.M in the chart means. I know the non us coin were used in the past but this info is new to me.

ImageScan 10 by henrysmedford, on Flickr

ImageScan 10 by henrysmedford, on Flickr
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Help with this chart from 1878. US mint gold and silver

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:42 pm

d - deci - tenth
c - centi - hundredth
m- milli - thousandth

value based on one u.s. dollar maybe ?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:46 pm

It's probably the exchange rate in US "dollars, cents and mills", the latter being the smallest official denom, representing one thousandth of a dollar.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:59 pm

I was gonna say dollar, cent, and millicent (just a guess- I'll defer to the expert historians to offer a more definitive explanation)...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:39 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I was gonna say dollar, cent, and millicent (just a guess- I'll defer to the expert historians to offer a more definitive explanation)...

a) Interesting bit of history
b) believe RS has it right
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics