1970s small date photo

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

1970s small date photo

Postby Morsecode » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Anyone have one? All the google leads talk about diagnostics, but no photos. And, just so I'm clear:

There's a large date low 7, a small date high 7...is there also a small date low 7?

Thanks
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 1970s small date photo

Postby abe » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:54 pm

Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks for that link, Abe. Great photos.

The reason I mentioned the small date LOW 7 is that if you look at the distance between the bottom of the 9 to the S, it's noticeably wider on the small date vs the large date, and I have a few that appear to be small date but the 7 doesn't line up to the top of the other numerals.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43 pm

The easiest way to tell if you have the 1970S small date is to look at the inner loop of the nine. If te tail of that loop points to the bottom of the 7 then it's the large date. Now on all 1970S small dates, that inner loop of the 9 will point directly at the center of the 7. Once you see this, it's like night and day and you'll be an expert at telling the difference. A second marker on the small date, on most of the circulated ones, is that on the word "LIBERTY". Most, if not all, small dates will have the weak letters of "T" and "Y". Like I said, once you see the difference in the two, it's easy to spot the small date.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Morsecode » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:02 am

Yes, I had read about the loop diagnostic and the weak TY. Funny thing is I have two cents that match those characteristics, along with no crease in the 7 where the two lines meet, but the 7 does not look to me to be aligned with the tops of the 9 & 0...which is why I was wondering if there was a small date low 7, or some other minor variety.

My android phone is not macro capable, but I'll see if I can somehow post a close-up.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby just carl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Complete photos and explanations on www.coppercoins.com
just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:04 pm

From the CopperCoins link:

"The one tell tale sign between the two that NEVER fails is a crease that runs horizontally across the top of the diagonal of the 7 on ALL large date cents. That crease is completely absent on ALL small date cents (this works for proofs too)."

So, no crease = small date. Sure a whole lot easier than looking at tiny differences in loops and numeral alignments.

Found two so far 8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Return to USA Numismatics