Whats the best album for mercury dimes?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Postby merchoarder » Tue May 17, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm working on filling a few different mercury dime albums. I want a really nice album for my best set (and a 16d for that last hole :lol: ). Most are in whitmans now which are great but I want that one nice album. My sister bought me an official US mint album for my b-day. I like it and it looks good but this is a work in progress. If I remove one to replace it with a nicer coin it tends to rip around the whole, even when I'm extra careful. I'm aware of a few premium albums out there but don't have the cash for trial and error. In everyone's opinion, what album is the best and why? Thanks to all in advance!
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Whats the best album for mercury dimes?

Postby abc » Wed May 18, 2011 5:35 am

I like Dansco albums. Super high quality, it's an album so you can see both sides of the coins, they look great easy to add and remove coins.
abc
Penny Pincher Member

Postby daviscfad » Wed May 18, 2011 6:09 am

+1 on the dansco. there is also an album called INTERCEPT SHIELD that is nice but they used to be a bit more.
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed May 18, 2011 6:32 am

Dad collects mercs and is very happy with the intercept shield folder they are housed in. I have a (not complete) raw morgan collection that resides in intercept shield folders as well. My selling point was that Intercept claims to have tone/tarnish blocking elements embeded in their products. I liked it because it keeps my white coins white and my toned coins from toning any further. The folders will not reverse tone just maintain current condition.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby abe » Wed May 18, 2011 9:16 am

I had a set of ASE's in a Littleton album w/o an intercept shield and they all turned BLACK.
I sold them as junk silver and the buyer couldn't believe his eyes.
So I would have to say an album with an intercept shield.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aloneibreak » Wed May 18, 2011 12:18 pm

i really like dansco albums

the 16-d is my last coin too

but im nervous about buying a raw one...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby appjoe » Wed May 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Dad collects mercs and is very happy with the intercept shield folder they are housed in. I have a (not complete) raw morgan collection that resides in intercept shield folders as well. My selling point was that Intercept claims to have tone/tarnish blocking elements embeded in their products. I liked it because it keeps my white coins white and my toned coins from toning any further. The folders will not reverse tone just maintain current condition.

Now just last week I was at our local coin shop and I picked up a Dansco album to look at that had ASE's in it. Some of them were black around the edges and some had alot of toning. I told the owner of the shop that I was thinking of getting a Dansco album for my ASE's but I was glad I saw that and that I was going to keep mine in my 2x2's because they look as good as the day I bought them and that was 1 every year since 1986. He said what do you mean that's great ! I wish I could get them all to tone. Then he pulled some out that were really tone dark and he said he would buy them like that all day long at a premium. Now to me some really did look nice but most just looked plain ugly to me.

So what is it toning good, bad, or up to the person as to what he likes???
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed May 18, 2011 5:55 pm

appjoe wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Dad collects mercs and is very happy with the intercept shield folder they are housed in. I have a (not complete) raw morgan collection that resides in intercept shield folders as well. My selling point was that Intercept claims to have tone/tarnish blocking elements embeded in their products. I liked it because it keeps my white coins white and my toned coins from toning any further. The folders will not reverse tone just maintain current condition.

Now just last week I was at our local coin shop and I picked up a Dansco album to look at that had ASE's in it. Some of them were black around the edges and some had alot of toning. I told the owner of the shop that I was thinking of getting a Dansco album for my ASE's but I was glad I saw that and that I was going to keep mine in my 2x2's because they look as good as the day I bought them and that was 1 every year since 1986. He said what do you mean that's great ! I wish I could get them all to tone. Then he pulled some out that were really tone dark and he said he would buy them like that all day long at a premium. Now to me some really did look nice but most just looked plain ugly to me.

So what is it toning good, bad, or up to the person as to what he likes???

Joe, sounds like a good thread. "Tone: love it, hate it, just don't care"
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Wed May 18, 2011 9:24 pm

A full one!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 pm

If you are going for the Dansco can be found here http://www.danscoalbumstore.com/
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Thu May 19, 2011 6:13 am

its cheaper at wizzard coin supply
Spencer Davis

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Thu May 19, 2011 10:40 am

daviscfad wrote:its cheaper at wizzard coin supply

daviscfad would know...he is cheap.... ;) :lol:
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Thu May 19, 2011 10:57 am

hey you can buy a mercury dime with the 2 dollars left over
Spencer Davis

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby merchoarder » Thu May 19, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks all, I will look into the Dansco and Intercept shield.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri May 20, 2011 3:38 pm

I'd vote for the Intercept Shield variety. I use their slab holders for my "keeper" slab coins and have never had a problem with toning or other problems due to humidity, heat or cold.

Regardless of your choice, an album for your prized collection isn't worth compromising on quality. This is something you're only going to buy once.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics