I Might Have Paid too Much for These Wheats

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

I Might Have Paid too Much for These Wheats

Postby Thogey » Sat May 21, 2011 5:21 pm

I came home from the flea market with a small box, (20-25) plastic tubes, of wheat cents.

I paid $100.00 for them because when I pulled the first 2 tubes out and dumped them in my hand at random, the first tube had 3 1909 Ps one was in MS (but brown) condition. The second tube was full of 10's and twenty's and a 1933d. So I'm like 'hell yea'.

There was no apocalypse today so I decided to search them.

I get them home and those were about the best ones.

Got about 12 1944 and some others Mint State cents with mint luster, and about 2 rolls of steel. Some of the 43's are BU with luster.

Lots of 40-59. Lot of common teens and 20's and 30's. Also a few with less than 10 million mintage, but no treasure.

I'm going to sell them and see if I can come out ahead.

We'll see how it goes.
Last edited by Thogey on Sat May 21, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: I Might Have Paid too Much for These Wheats

Postby NDFarmer » Sat May 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Because of the fact that you didn't find anymore better dates you might have paid a little too much. The 40's and 50's are worth about 4 cents each the 30's are worth about 7 or 8 cents each and the 20's are worth about 10 cents each. Too bad you didn't find a few 09 vdb's those are worth 8 to 10 bucks each. That would have made it a much better buy.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Re: I Might Have Paid too Much for These Wheats

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat May 21, 2011 8:53 pm

We all overpay time to time brother….it’s the price of admission......but your instincts were right. Worth a go.

I had a similar deal about a month back. Bought a box of foreign coin for $100. It is something that I will have a time to get my money back on....thats form sure
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to USA Numismatics