Question about the U.S. mint

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Question about the U.S. mint

Postby Treetop » Sun May 29, 2011 4:38 pm

Im curious if there is a way to know how many of a specific series the mint is selling? Or do these numbers only come out later? If I can find them now where?

I am curious about the silver dollars actually. They charge a hefty premium on them, and most years they are much cheaper in the after market a few years after issue. a few bucks over spot if its a design people like. A few though sell for multiples of spot. this seems based mainly on rarity.

Id like to get a whole set of the silver dollars going and if I knew this year if there was a low mintage on the silver dollar I could get it from the mint myself. Rather then pay steeper prices for it later, if I wanted to get it. Then if it was an abundantly produced series I could just wait a few years and get it later more in line with the silver value alone.....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Question about the U.S. mint

Postby henrysmedford » Sun May 29, 2011 10:20 pm

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun May 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Ahh... I was thinking of commemorative silver dollars actually. They are 90% silver and the same size as morgans and peace dollars. Lots of neat designs. Lots of silly ones to. Is there a site like that for other mint issues?
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Sun May 29, 2011 10:54 pm

You can try the redbook for mintages
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Mon May 30, 2011 5:05 am

http://medalofhonorcoins.com/

According to this site, this years silver and gold commemoratives are on track to be VERY low.... Which is rather interesting considering there are so many new silver investors. I think I mights just order this one this year..... Maybe even the gold coin as it is a neat design, and at this rate might be one of the lowest mintages. If that held true, it would be well worth the premium paid. Waiting on a check from bullion direct.... The ones with low mintages end up worth WAY more in the after market... this one looks like its worth getting now while it still carries the mints steep price, rather then an actual market based price.... Im guessing the US army sets are as low as the medal of honor ones....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics