morgan set - slabbed or unslabbed?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

morgan set - slabbed or unslabbed?

Postby gollum » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi all:

I have a dilemna about the Morgan set I am assembling and need some opinions.

The set so far consists of 40 or so coins in an Intercept Shield album. AU through MS-63 range. Basically I have approximately all the specimens you can get uncirculated for under $200 or so.

Now I'm going "uh-oh"...not just because the additional coins will be pricier, but because once I start paying 300 or 400 per coin it seems like I should be getting only pcgs/ngc slabbed, to avoid getting ripped off.

But I don't want to have a collection that one day is half in an Intercept Shield book and half in a box of slabs. Doesn't it make sense to go all one way or the other?

Kind forum members, what would you do if your goal was to assemble a high quality Morgan collection over a 10 year period...

a) Put them in an album and risk counterfeits, misgrades, etc.
b) Only deal with slabbed/graded items (which themselves can also be put into an 'album' form - lots of products out there).

Thanks for tips, opinions, suggestions!
gollum

Re: morgan set - slabbed or unslabbed?

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:26 pm

It would depend on what your purpose is in building such a set. Are you doing it as an investment for later resale or is your main focus collecting? I have slabs, raw coins and even tubes of culls in my hoard. I am not worried about ever assembling a complete set.. but I would like to have a 95-P some day. In the slabs they are usually more marketable.. but always look at and grade the coin for yourself.. mistakes can and do occur. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to USA Numismatics