Morgan dollars lackluster?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Morgan dollars lackluster?

Postby texcollex » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:41 pm

So I was talking to my dad on the phone today and he was interested in buying some Morgan dollars. He, like me, just likes the way they look. After perusing Epay and a couple of other websites, I decided to go down to my local coin shop and see what he had. He had a decent selection of varying grades. I picked a 1900 appeared to be uncirculated and an 1891 O that showed moderate use with no noticeable luster left, but no signs of cleaning or abuse. He priced them $50 and $35 respectively and we settled on $80 for the two. I feel fairly satisfied with the deal considering that I want to support the only local dealer for 40 miles. I will probably make the nicer one a birthday gift to my dad.

My question revolves around this: I was looking on Epay again and notice that bidding on Morgans in general appears lackluster, other than a few choice coins. Is this because of the chance that the coin could be counterfeit? I realize that there are a huge number of uncirculated Morgans available. I was thinking that I could pick up a few "bargains" if I shop shrewdly. I would like to pick up a coin here and there for around bullion value. I don't want to take the risk of buying a fake, though. What things should look for to identify fake Morgans?

Thanks,
Tex
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Morgan dollars lackluster?

Postby fasteddy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:43 pm

yep, there is a chance that it is fake, however most of the fakes are the key date coins. With that said, be wary and know what you are looking at.....check the feed back...read the negative feedback...understand why the negative..some people are just a-holes and leave stupid negatives. When you receive your coin always weigh them to insure they are the correct weight. See www.coinflation.com for the weights. Fake Morgans may have obvious mistakes, details are not sharp, but the Chinese are getting better faking them. The Doc and Market Harmony are the experts here on Morgans maybe they will chime in. Deals can be had on feebay...keep an eye open...once i scored an ASE for $14...it was listed as .925 silver coin from a pawnshop on feebay. Good luck and welcome.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics