Half Dollars

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Half Dollars

Postby 0000PaleHorse0000 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:50 pm

What is your take on them?

I understand that everything 1964 and earlier are 90% silver and the 1965-1970 have 40%, but do you guys hold onto the other halves?

I recently got lucky enough to get $11.50 in halves, but had mostly kens and some Bi halves. Do you think I should hold onto them or just trade them in for nickels or pennies?

Thanks guys!
"I looked, and there was a pale horse! Its rider's name was Death, and Hades followed him."
0000PaleHorse0000

Re: Half Dollars

Postby uthminsta » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Welcome, Pale Horse!
You will find, if you look around and read a few threads here and there, that there are a LOT of people looking for silver halves. Much more so on the 90% than the 40% stuff, but silver is silver. As for the other stuff, what do you mean? Do you mean the 1971-present halves? For the most part, those go back to the bank to buy more... but every once in a while, there's something special that could hold some numismatic value.
Again, welcome to RealCent! I'm sure you will find MUCH more information to answer your question... We're glad you're here.
Aaron
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 0000PaleHorse0000 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks dude.

I just wanted to make sure from a numismatic perspective that I wasn't about to make a mistake by trading in the 1971+ kens. My reasoning behind it was due to the fact that it's difficult to find them sometimes, but I guess I'll just keep the bicentennials.

Thanks again for the info!
"I looked, and there was a pale horse! Its rider's name was Death, and Hades followed him."
0000PaleHorse0000

Postby rainsonme » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Mr. Horse, I am sorry to say that 1971+ halfs are not very rare, and to me, are worth at most 50 cents. I do save the impared proofs (S-mint mark) and I save the 2002+ halfs, but I don't know why. They really hold no value I can see. There may be a couple error coins ----- 1974 comes to mind ---- that might have numismatic value. But I dump them all back, and when my box of 2002+ fills up, I take them back as well. I put the 40% silver impared proofs in with the other 40% silver I keep.

Anyone who wants to buy impared clad proofs or 2002+ halfs for 55 cents plus shipping (and I suggest you insure it, since the postal workers steal half of the coins I ship) send me an IM.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 0000PaleHorse0000 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Rainsonme,

Thanks for clarifying. I am new to the numismatic/penny/nickel/hoarding scene and just want to make sure I don't make any noob mistakes.

I have learned so much already from this site and my father who has been collecting for over 50+ years, so it's a lot to take in while not making any mistakes!

Thanks again for the support and I will keep the clads in mind!
0000PaleHorse0000

Postby uthminsta » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:37 pm

As for the S-mint (proofs) and 2002-present halves, you never know... your local shop MIGHT have some interest in them. But the rest can go back... the quicker the better!
uthminsta

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:15 pm

0000PaleHorse0000 wrote:Rainsonme,

Thanks for clarifying. I am new to the numismatic/penny/nickel/hoarding scene and just want to make sure I don't make any noob mistakes.

I have learned so much already from this site and my father who has been collecting for over 50+ years, so it's a lot to take in while not making any mistakes!

Thanks again for the support and I will keep the clads in mind!

BE PREPARED!!!! You're going to make mistakes! I do it every week and learn a new lesson. Really, really pour over the pages of this site and you will find tons of lessons from mistakes and from wisdom alike. Welcome, welcome!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby dan53 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:08 pm

I keep my non-silver proofs. I usually get $1.50 for those......200% profit.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Sorry to be off topic but talk about mistakes. Before I joined this site I threw back 3 blank planchets from a single box. I figured they were just junk. How ignorant was that? It would have cost a whole three cents to keep them. I haven't seen another one since.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Thogey wrote:Sorry to be off topic but talk about mistakes. Before I joined this site I threw back 3 blank planchets from a single box. I figured they were just junk. How ignorant was that? It would have cost a whole three cents to keep them. I haven't seen another one since.

No idea on the price, but you probably should have kept them i found these on the bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLANK-unstruck- ... 1c1f86c677 none have sold though. I got a question also, ive been hunting halves and keeping the NIFC's that are in decent shape. But earlier i was dumping and found several 80's proofs i just chucked them, any value in those?
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Thogey wrote:Sorry to be off topic but talk about mistakes. Before I joined this site I threw back 3 blank planchets from a single box. I figured they were just junk. How ignorant was that? It would have cost a whole three cents to keep them. I haven't seen another one since.

:lol: the price of learn'n

I have found just one....and there goes the thread :roll:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Let's just stay completely off-topic, and I'll add that I found my first blank just a week or so ago.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby NHsorter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:58 pm

I just found my first blank tonight shortly after reading this! Weird coincidence. Sc303 shot in into the reject cup. What are they worth?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics