So you want to be a coin dealer...

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

So you want to be a coin dealer...

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:11 pm

Beside owning & operating Market Harmony, I am also a part-time coin dealer. I buy for the purpose of resale, but man I love coins. My personal collection, believe it or not, contains a whopping 13 coins. Yes, that is it. I do not have a retail shop where I deal with customers all day. No, I work a keyboard, phone, loupe, and a pen with indelible ink. Pretty simple, right? hmmm.....

I often get asked whether I deal in coins full time, or whether I have a store. My answer is always the same... I do this for fun on the weekends. My full-time job is Market Harmony bullion and refining. But yes, dealing does add income to the bottom line, and lately it has reached 50/50 status with the refining & bullion side of the business. This year alone, I have already done 14 shows; and this is my primary market for dealing in coins.

I have spent unknown hours and dollars on refining my eye. Dollars? Yes, I paid tuition to the grading services. I have devoured as much as I could in learning the art of coin grading, but testing my abilities by submitting to the major grading services taught me more than any book or conversation. This cost was my tuition. The results of the time spent assigning grades and then to get a professional 3rd party opinion has drastically improved my eye for grading. Don't ask, you don't want to know how many coins I have sent off to the various graders. And the information I have accumulated, though costly, has probably saved me thousands by being able to determine cleaning and counterfeits. It has also helped me to turn a decent coin into a great coin if I feel it is undergraded and then resubmit to get an "upgrade"

I have an inventory of coins that would scare my grandmother. She went through the 1st Great Depression, as well as having her family home swept away in the same massive flood which wiped out Johnstown, PA. She was born with nothing, raised with nothing, married into poverty, worked in steel mills during WW II while here husband was in Japan, raised 3 children, never drove a car, and died at 93 with no wealth other than a $30K house. Her eyes would bulge if she knew what I have paid for little pieces of metal as old as her. And that affects me, too. I think about that all the time... that these discs only have a value that someone else puts on them... bottom line is that my neck could be on the chopping block if I needed to scramble for cash.

Safety? I just read about a dealer that had to shoot a robber. And what about theft?

In an industry that is receiving renewed scrutiny due to CfG operations, and consumer advocacy groups, the title "coin dealer", or "bullion broker", is getting a bad reputation. Regulations are increasing. Enforcement is improving. The tax collectors' eyes are on the dealers.

But, the best part of it all is the people. Realcent is just a part of my whole. And the people of realcent are a spectacular group. I thank each and every one of you, and I hope I get to meet you at one of my shows. Perhaps one day you'll get to walk into a Market Harmony store near you 8-)

Has anyone here ever considered becoming a dealer? You need: a passion for coins, passion for work, capital, inventory, guts and guns, legal advice or acumen, and a love of people. Still up for it?
Last edited by Market Harmony on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: So you want to be a coin dealer...

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:20 pm

Don't forget the fast cars and faster women that come with being a coin dealer.

*Cane and top hat sold separately
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Don't forget the fast cars and faster women that come with being a coin dealer.

Not sure whether I should consider that a pro or con... The last date I had was anything but BU :lol:
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:55 pm

Market Harmony wrote: You need: a passion for coins, passion for work, capital, inventory, guts and guns, legal advice or acumen, and a love of people. Still up for it?

You also need a back up job.

Coin dealing is a tough job with mostly low margins and now these crazy metals and currency markets.

Yeh Michael you gotta be a smart hard-working guy to make it in the coin business. Deals come up and you need to drop everything and produce cash to make them happen, lots of risk and frustration.

Bully for you MH!

Great post.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:12 am

Market Harmony wrote: My personal collection, believe it or not, contains a whopping 13 coins. Yes, that is it.

My personal collection includes thousands of coins in bins and bags. Not a single one in graded plastic.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:37 am

Sounds like a MH franchise could be available near you!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby theo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Great post!

When is your next show?
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:50 pm

theo wrote:Great post!

When is your next show?

My next show is a smallish one (about 25 dealers) at Castle Shannon Fire Hall from 8:30 am to 2:00 pm this Sunday, July 10... see you there :D

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasTT » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Don't forget the fast cars and faster women that come with being a coin dealer.

Don't let the nickname fool ya. ;)

Nice post Mike.

You should add that cash flow is always a killer. However, the business runs much better when you have good contacts that you can trust and horse trade with. Those contacts take time to cultivate, but if you are lucky enough, you end up with friends as well as good business partners.

May I also say that there is nothing better in the world than working for yourself. Your boss may be an ass, but you know where you stand.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:08 pm

Yes, FasTT, you are right... cash flow can make or break some deals and if you don't have it, then it is like given your competition some business.

The friends that I have made in the business have always started as business acquaintances. But when like-minded people continue to be in contact, and mutual respect is formed, then friendship is inevitable. I'm happy to many realcenters my friends, and I look forward to more.

And, as a side note, today is the birthday of Market Harmony LLC... I established the company on 07/07/07 just for some added luck ;) One more year in business and I get to beat the statistics of failure. Wish me more luck! :D

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Yes, Mike... I'd like to become an online dealer at some point in time (maybe five years or so when I'm too old for RN). I've been acquiring inventory for for eight years, but I see myself more as a bullion distributor (in time) then becoming an expert at grading and selling high end coins. Conga rats on your business, great post, and continued success to MH ;)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby beachbum999 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Yes, FasTT, you are right... cash flow can make or break some deals and if you don't have it, then it is like given your competition some business.

The friends that I have made in the business have always started as business acquaintances. But when like-minded people continue to be in contact, and mutual respect is formed, then friendship is inevitable. I'm happy to many realcenters my friends, and I look forward to more.

And, as a side note, today is the birthday of Market Harmony LLC... I established the company on 07/07/07 just for some added luck ;) One more year in business and I get to beat the statistics of failure. Wish me more luck! :D

congrats!

13 coins? wow! they must be really impressive. I don't think I could narrow mine down to 13 just yet. (no offense. lol).
beachbum999

Postby adagirl » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 am

MH I have always enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks for sharing & best of luck. The business world is tough, but you practice sound money, so I think you will do just fine! :D
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Return to USA Numismatics