Coin Collecting Blasphemy?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Re: Coin Collecting Blasphemy?

Postby schockergd » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:22 pm

I personally have favorites from various denominations and the Morgan isn't one of them. For me, the Peace was the best of the series with the seated liberty right behind it.

I also think barbers are ugly (I love Mercs & seated) , Walker halves over barbers, ect.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:31 am

schockergd wrote:I personally have favorites from various denominations and the Morgan isn't one of them. For me, the Peace was the best of the series with the seated liberty right behind it.

I also think barbers are ugly (I love Mercs & seated) , Walker halves over barbers, ect.

You think barbers are ugly?! My Uncle Vito is a barber... you cumma to his shop and sitta in the chair, I tella him what you say... you nevva gonna need anudder hairacutta in yo life, you misable piece a ... :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:50 am

beauanderos wrote:dude... if you met this chick in person... you know you would not be turning cartwheels :lol: I mean, c'mon... she's got a Roman nose, Jay Leno's chin... and to top it off, funky Mennonite grey hair.

That's funny. Diet pepsi almost came out my nose when I read the "Jan Leno's chin" line. Maybe that's it. I know the women back then were a little more "sturdy" than now, but come on. You have the Mennonite Mrs. Jay Leno on one side and a weird looking eagle on the other. Not my cup of tea. But still better than most of the bonehead coins we have today.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:54 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:What do you think we should do with this guy Doc?

Well after spit'n my drink across the room and almost strok'n out......hmmmmm.......I say we Convert him...... 8-)

Hawkeye.....Tell me that this coin isn't the sexiest you have ever laid eyes on and mean it. Then Find me a single peace dollar (thats not bright white) with a stitch of eye appeal.

I will admit, that is a nice looking coin. Someday, when I have more funds, maybe I will splurge for one like it.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:39 am

Know Common Cents wrote:If looking for disgusting and meaningless designs on US coinage, look no further than ...

... the Bob Hope Roosevelt Dime
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Hawkeye wrote:I will admit, that is a nice looking coin. Someday, when I have more funds, maybe I will splurge for one like it.

Trader!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rob72830 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:12 am

slickeast wrote:I have NEVER liked the look of a Morgan dollar. The obverse is what I don't like.

Walking Liberty half, Mercury Dime, Flying Eagle cent. Now those have nice a looking obverse.

While I do enjoy the sight of BU Morgans (got one myself, wish I could afford more) I would like to add one more coin to that list-the Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter in at least XF. :lol:
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Rob72830 wrote:
slickeast wrote:I have NEVER liked the look of a Morgan dollar. The obverse is what I don't like.

Walking Liberty half, Mercury Dime, Flying Eagle cent. Now those have nice a looking obverse.

While I do enjoy the sight of BU Morgans (got one myself, wish I could afford more) I would like to add one more coin to that list-the Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter in at least XF. :lol:

LOL
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:30 pm

I'll straddle the fence on this one. I like the obverse of the Morgan and the reverse of the Peace.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby daviscfad » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:51 pm

hawkeye your not the only one that does like them. Most all the people in the late 1800's hated them too. Thats why so many are in nice condition. It seems USA has always hated dollar coins. Your just living in the wrong century. I think that in 100 years the president and SBA dollars will be popular like the morgans are today
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby warthog » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:45 pm

I've said the same thing in another thread recently. I've never much cared for either the Morgan or the Walker. On the other hand I really like the Ike, even though it violates my contention that we should never have put representations of presidents on our money (this is America, we have no kings here!). The only thing about the SBA that I like is that they kept the Ike reverse.
warthog

Postby Rob72830 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:15 pm

I like Ike too. Wonder if SBA's would still be worth anything if someone altered Anthony's head into say a representation of Liberty? Look at the hobo nickles. Altered but still worth something because there are people who collect such things. Could call it the hobo anthony! Hey! I just COINED a new term. LOL
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Treetop » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:39 am

Im not a huge morgan fan specifically, but I do like them, especially the reverse. I like ALL the dollar coins actually. By far my favorite denomination. I only need a 3-4 more to have a full set of the commnemoratives. which i should be finishing up soon next time my rebates come in from mr rebates. I couldnt handle owning the one "the doc" posted a pic of. I like my coins raw. Yeah yeah i know. I even cracked open a few ms69s and 70s of rather rare dollars making up my commemorative set. though for the record I did get all mine at either melt or just above, and a few rarer ones I took months to get for the lowest possible price in relation to spot.

Those and a complete set of the commemorative quarters (in silver of course) i will always have unless im forced to trade them for bread or something in some twisted future. Let my kids or grandkids curse me after Im gone when they wonder why grandpa has such a cool set but they were in coin tubes instead of the airtights and slabs I got them in. Im like a giant kid with my coins.

My parents visited recently and thought I was nuts showing them all my favorite silver coins. :lol:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beachbum999 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:43 pm

one of my local coin shops took some Barbers to the refinery. grrrrrr!
beachbum999

Postby CoinHuntingObsession » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:36 pm

does anyone else think this?

I do, for sure.
CoinHuntingObsession
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SoFa » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:02 am

I don't like looking at Morgans. I feel the same about most silver colored coins including Peace Dollars, all dimes, Franklin and Kennedy halves, and even ASEs.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:42 pm

SoFa wrote:I don't like looking at Morgans. I feel the same about most silver colored coins including Peace Dollars, all dimes, Franklin and Kennedy halves, and even ASEs.

I'll make ya a trade. I will give you a box of beautiful brown Abes (zinc of course) for all of those "nasty" silver colored coins (Peace Dollars, ASE's and any other darned ole silver coins that may have some darned ole silver in 'em. :lol:
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to USA Numismatics