25th anniversary "plain" coins

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

25th anniversary "plain" coins

Postby Nystagmus » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:46 pm

From what I understand, the silver eagles in this set have the second lowest mintage ever behind the 1995 W proof. Only two of the coins in the set are unique, so if the box is opened there is no way of knowing if the other three coins came with the set. It seems to me that the population of the three "plain" coins can only keep dropping since many people will open the boxes and only send off the two unique coins for grading. Is it possible that these plain coins in graded form could end up being much more rare than the 1995 w?
Nystagmus

Re: 25th anniversary "plain" coins

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:09 pm

Nystagmus wrote:From what I understand, the silver eagles in this set have the second lowest mintage ever behind the 1995 W proof. Only two of the coins in the set are unique, so if the box is opened there is no way of knowing if the other three coins came with the set. It seems to me that the population of the three "plain" coins can only keep dropping since many people will open the boxes and only send off the two unique coins for grading. Is it possible that these plain coins in graded form could end up being much more rare than the 1995 w?

I have been hearing this junk as of late as well. But follow me on this brother. If I have a 2011 proof eagle for my collection and it came from the normal route (single coin issued in that lone box) do I really need or desire to own the same exact coin but issued in a different box. Moreover do I need a grading Company to holder it as a special Coin? “What box it came from” Pedigrees on (TPG) labels mean absolutely nothing to a collector..unless it says Simpson, Jack lee, or NY Set.
Case in point: Do I prefer a PCGS 1884-cc MS-64 Pedigreed “GSA” over the same coin/grade/Third party grader but without the pedigree. NOPE...and I sure as hell do not add a premium on them.

Moral of the story
A 2011 bullion ASE is a 2011 bullion ASE......that is all it will ever be.......don't let the marketing firms at the TPG tell you otherwise ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Verbane » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Nystagmus wrote:From what I understand, the silver eagles in this set have the second lowest mintage ever behind the 1995 W proof. Only two of the coins in the set are unique, so if the box is opened there is no way of knowing if the other three coins came with the set. It seems to me that the population of the three "plain" coins can only keep dropping since many people will open the boxes and only send off the two unique coins for grading. Is it possible that these plain coins in graded form could end up being much more rare than the 1995 w?

The only sellers pulling a major premium on the "plain" coins from this set is the "seen on TV sellers", and they will hype that until Iraq freezes over. You have to remember their spread is massive, and their buy price is before slabbing. The Die-hards and the TV sellers who want the specialized slabbing already have a plan in place, which I think accounts for the massive premiums we're seeing right now, for an item that hasn't even shipped.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby moneydog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:07 am

agree with doc only 2 coins are diff than 2011 issue the other 3 are all over :)
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Return to USA Numismatics