Brown (like a penny) Nickels

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Brown (like a penny) Nickels

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Why? O why?

Twice I have swerved into deals on old nickels and one was brownish like a penny. Why does this happen and how does it affect the grade?

Here is my newly acquired 1883 No Cents Nick - BROWN..... what does this mean?
NickNick.jpg
NickNick.jpg (27.15 KiB) Viewed 439 times

Also pictured is the newly acquired 84 - darn that nick in the nick.
Nick 84.jpg
Nick 84.jpg (16.09 KiB) Viewed 439 times

So. Numi's what have I got here?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Re: Brown (like a penny) Nickels

Postby bman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:22 pm

it was probably a metal detecting find, the ground turns nickels and clad coins dark like that.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:26 pm

I'd stick with the "buried underground or lost and dug up years later" rather than anything else. Other options wouldn't be quite as intriguing. Some might even be unpleasant. LOL.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:I'd stick with the "buried underground or lost and dug up years later" rather than anything else. Other options wouldn't be quite as intriguing. Some might even be unpleasant. LOL.

Glad I put on my gloves to handle it..... :o

:lol:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:24 am

The ones I dig up out of moist black dirt are black. If I dig any out of clay, they are brown. And, for some reason you get the sometimes orange/rusty color.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics