Any Numismatic Books for Children?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Any Numismatic Books for Children?

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:48 am

My nephew is really into coin collecting (in fact, last night his dad told me that coins were the #1 thing on his Christmas list). I'd like to continue to do what I can to help cultivate his love of coins and help this next generation collector carry the torch of the hobby (I've been giving him coins for about 2 years, but I'm thinking it's time for a book). I would just give him one of my old Red Books, but since he's 9 years old, I'm guessing standard coin collecting books would probably not be the best thing.

Are there any coin collecting books out there that are meant for younger readers? He’s a sharp kid, so it doesn’t need to be for 9 or under (12 or under would probably be ok).

Thanks for your help,
Stu
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Any Numismatic Books for Children?

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:52 am

Stu......put a red book into that boys hands. Kids will suprise you brother with what they know and pick up on easily. Not to mention, late editions are super nice with full color photographs and a little about each coin. It's high time the boy learns to look at a coin....pick up a red book.....and find it hidden in it's pages.

We'll get him VAMing morgans by the time he's 15yo. :P
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:01 am

Another good idea.......A box of pennies and a blue LMC whitman pennie board. Let the kid play some bingo.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks Rodebaugh!

I don't have kids (being an Uncle is enough for me), and it's been so long since I've been a kid, I reckon I don't really know what children are truly capable of. I will follow your suggestion and take him one of my Red Books.

I think my brother bought him the Whitman books 1&2 for cents after I gave him a huge bag of wheats about a year ago. Book 3 is an awesome idea though, since that’s one that he will be able to fill with pocket change (he’s really enjoyed putting together the state quarters set).
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:20 am

Doctor Steuss wrote:I will follow your suggestion and take him one of my Red Books.

Do you think a Cherrypickers' Guide would be a good idea too? I have an extra copy of the cents-nickels guide.
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tn-dave » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:37 am

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?p=91080#p91080

Not sure if this one has been published yet. You might send the OP of this thread a PM and see where it stands now
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:43 am

tn-dave wrote:http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?p=91080#p91080

Not sure if this one has been published yet. You might send the OP of this thread a PM and see where it stands now

Looks like it's available on Kindle, but I think this might be a little too young for him. Still, maybe I can get my other nephew (that's 5) hooked.... :P
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:46 am

My son (quite a bit younger) has this one:

http://www.amazon.com/One-Cent-Two-Cent ... 0375828818

Ironic that the original poster of this thread goes by "Doctor Steuss"?!?
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tractorman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:23 pm

My 7-yr old has this one under the tree.

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/coin-collecting-for-kids.html

And then I find out the Presidential dollars are gonna be tough to get. :roll:
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm

Great suggestions! Thank you brothers.
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby K-Iguana » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:10 pm

My 7 year old Daughter likes to look through my coins and then try to find them in my red book. She's a Cat in the Hat fan, so I think I'll pick up "One Cent, Two Cents, Old Cent, New Cent" for her.
K-Iguana

Return to USA Numismatics