Question re: submitting cents for grading

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Question re: submitting cents for grading

Postby MikeyPooh » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:02 pm

Hey guys... I've got a few rolls of BU cents from when I was into collecting coins as a kid. It just struck me I should look up the values of them, heh. I'm sure I didn't pay much for them, I was only working with my paper route money at the time when I bought them after all...

Anyway, I've got a roll of 54-s, 57-d, 58, and 71-s. They all look bright red to me.

Checking out numismedia I see values of:

$52.50 for the 71-s in ms-66.

$131.25 for a 54-s in ms67.

$500 for the 57-d and 58 in ms67. (wow!) (also yeah too bad I did'nt have the plain 57's heh)

So, it looks like I should look into having a professional look at them I think... What should I do though? Do I sort through them myself and pick the best ten from each roll? Do I send in the whole roll? Go to a dealer and follow his advice?? Any input much appreciated!

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all!
MikeyPooh

Re: Question re: submitting cents for grading

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:14 pm

ms-67 is a really (REALLY) hard mark to hit
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby MikeyPooh » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Yeah... that was also what I was wondering too.... is it just a pipe dream to find one...
MikeyPooh

Postby daviscfad » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:58 am

I would suggest not sending any in until you learn a little about grading. Its hard for older coins to be MS-66 and higher. Its not impossible to have though and you may have a litttle gold mine
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:23 pm

There are numerous "photo grading" sites online. And they tend to be pretty decent at grading and quite easy to use.

So use those until you can grade like Rodebaugh (or close, let's be honest he is a grading savant). Send only those you believe to be decent 67's and you will have a source of cash flow!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dan53 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Barrytrot mentioned online photograding. Here's one site:

http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Lincoln/Grades
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Chaboo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Agreed...
Also, a graded coin worth $50 sounds great, but by the time you pay to ship it, pay to grade it, and pay them to ship it back to you all your "profits" could be gone. Find out how much the fees will total. It slapped me in the face and then the rates went up. LOL
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics