Funky Abe

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Funky Abe

Postby theshoenlebens » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:00 pm

First, sorry for the poor picture quality :x
Found this guy in a roll of dimes yesterday. The penny is, for a lack of a better descriptive word, scalloped. Looks to be done very clean and professional???
Is there a coin term to describe this?
I'm going to put it in a flip or something and just wanted to know what is a good saying to describe it.

Image]Image
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Funky Abe

Postby bman » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:43 pm

I can't tell much from those pics but my hunch is somebody messed with it...what year is it? copper or zinc? can you get an accurate weight?
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Chris I have a nice little "set" of these in the hoard. This is a clasic case of shaving a cent down so a vending machine will accept it as a dime. Some are crudely done.....then there are some (like yours) that are a little nicer.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby bman » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:23 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:This is a clasic case of shaving a cent down so a vending machine will accept it as a dime.

that would only work if it's a copper cent, that was why I asked about weight etc... ;)
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:46 pm

How much work does one put into that to "make" NINE LOUSY CENTS?!?!
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:05 am

Yup bman, it is a 1979.
Chris, that does make sence I guess since it was found in a bank roll of dimes. But Damn!! I'm not kidding, this thing has scalloped edges on both sides, basically with the same amount shaved on each side with an alternating pattern. I guess someone wanted to cheat in style !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics