Morgan Silver Dollar Grading

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Morgan Silver Dollar Grading

Postby saltydecks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:23 pm

I have a Morgan im looking at buying that is a low mintage and is in very nice condition. If I buy it and want to get it graded how much would that cost? I looked on the PCGS site but could make much since of which catigory mine falls into. Any ballpark figures?
saltydecks
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Morgan Silver Dollar Grading

Postby misteroman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:50 pm

ummmm doc!!!!!
I think 1 coin is like $25 with a few week wait. Mind saying what yr?
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Post a pic......play show and tell with us.

And yeah Derek is correct...about 20-30 bucks per coin for 5+ coins at a time.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby saltydecks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm

I haven't bought it yet. A family member has it and I think wants to sell it for $20. I'm going to buy it either way. I believe they told me it is an 1881. And they said it has a 'strange looking mint mark'.

I don't KNOW. But I think it seems to me that it might be an 1881 cc. Which would mean it is one of 267,000.
saltydecks
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 pm

keep us posted.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby ed_vantage17 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Any Morgan for $20 is a deal IMHO. Buy, Buy, Buy!

A "strange" mint mark could also be an "O" and the potential for a hot lips double die.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:09 pm

Lol I was thinking like a 93-s or something! Snag it either way
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby saltydecks » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:04 am

I'm gong to try to get by there today but if not probably tmrw and see what it is. I learned not to get my hopes up about. Pins being key dates cause they normally turn out not to be haha.

But yea $20 is a good deal either way and will be a good addition to my stash.
saltydecks
Penny Sorter Member

Postby saltydecks » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:16 am

Found this on the pcgs website. I can get a membership for a year to submit things to them for $49. I'd just have to get a few good coins to send, then get a membership and send them off.

http://www.pcgs.com/howtosubmit.html

So it's either that or find a dealer who can send it off. Not sure where I would find a dealer. The only coin shop in the area I don't think is.
saltydecks
Penny Sorter Member

Postby saltydecks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:29 pm

So I finally got by my great-grandmother's house today.

She ended up GIVING ME 3 COINS! I was prepared to pay for 1.

The Morgan I went to pay for was nothing special at all... in fact it turned out to be a 1921 no mark... the one Morgan that has the highest mintage. BUT it's silver and FREE!

So we are standing there talking and she pulls out her half dollar bag and wants me to look through it for her. It's $70 of Kennedy Half dollars... or is it. Not it's not. It's $69.50 of Kennedy halves. 1 Barber half! which caught my attention and I said "Hey look at this". "She said put it in your pocket, I don't have any use for it."

The Barber half turns out to be a 1914 S. Not as rare as the 1914, but under a million struck.

As I looked through the rest of her coin collection I came across a 1991 American Silver Eagle. Pulled it out, she asked what it was so I told her, and again "Put in your pocket".

She wouldn't let me pay for any of it, so I ended up with 2.1352 free oz. of silver! Very nice day on my end!
saltydecks
Penny Sorter Member

Return to USA Numismatics