HELP! Who Can ID this coin for me?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

HELP! Who Can ID this coin for me?

Postby NHsorter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:27 am

I am meeting someone to buy these coins later this afternoon. Here is the blurry pic they provided. Does anyone know what that coin is on the top right? I am excited that it might be something really cool and it is eating me up to have to wait to find out. I guess that I tend to be a little energetic/anxious/impatient.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: HELP! Who Can ID this coin for me?

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:52 am

I have NO real idea, but it kind of "looks" vaguely French. I'm probably completely wrong.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Yes, possibly French now that you mention it. Thanks for the thought 68, I'm gonna go take a google gander at some french coins.

I tried looking up a bunch of US stuff and I struck out. Too big to be a half and it does not look like any US dollars that I have seen listed anywhere.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Bluegill » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:07 pm

I pretty sure that is a Philippines coin. Judging by the size compared to the adjacent Peace dollar, it is a Peso. Possibly the 1903 thru '06. The expensive one.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Oh, I think that you hit the nail on the head Bluegill. Thanks!! That coin should sweeten the deal! Man, I love Realcent!! You guys are the best.

NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Yep - good call. :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Yup, I have it in hand not and it is a 1909S Philippines One Peso. Good call
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:44 pm

nice looking coin - hope you got a great deal.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:26 pm

'Who's that Lady" by the Isley Brothers started playing in my head while trying to figure this one out :lol: , before I scrolled down and saw the Peso answer.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to USA Numismatics