Amazing Collection of Lincoln Cents

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Amazing Collection of Lincoln Cents

Postby DuckTales253 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 am

The Presidential Collection of PCGS Registry Lincoln Cents

The "Presidential Collection of PCGS Registry Lincoln Cents" is one of the finest collections of Lincoln cents ever assembled, currently listed in the PCGS Registry as the 4th All-Time Finest Collection in the "Lincoln Cents with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1909-Present)" category.

http://stores.ebay.com/David-Lawrence-R ... 5197.m1256
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Amazing Collection of Lincoln Cents

Postby Morsecode » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Used to be you'd be happy with an MS65. Now, if it's not 66+, it ain't spit.

Could explain how a Gem 1922D is bid to $12,000...while a mere AU 1922 no D has stalled at $6000
:?

Thanks for the interesting link. Will be fun to see what some of these coins end at come Sunday.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby barrytrot » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Some of the coins are nice and others are quite crappy for the grade really.

I've bought several coins from David Lawrence and their lighting they use for their pictures makes every coin look a lot cleaner and brighter than it is. If you know that when you buy then it works out fine and you can adjust the price you are willing to pay accordingly, but I think people are bidding on the "pictures" and also, probably, the notoriety that this collection suddenly has due to this sale.

I put bids on several of the lower end coins, but they all seem to be blowing through normal market value and with 2 days still to go! And these are not coins that are extremely rare by any means.

So most likely people that believe the over-shined pictures and/or newbies will end up with most of these :)
barrytrot

Postby barrytrot » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:34 pm

I ended up winning a couple of these coins. Just lower-ish end ones, some late year wheat's.

I paid well above guide for each that I won, but they are all lower population coins and I bought only CAC coins.
barrytrot

Postby Morsecode » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Nice. Low pop cents have always been a pretty safe investment.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Return to USA Numismatics