Damaged Buffalo Nickel Question

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Damaged Buffalo Nickel Question

Postby Ireland_925 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:50 pm

I bought a bunch of buffaloes at an auction recently and noticed there is a dark smudge over the dates of a lot of the older ones. It's pretty obvious someone intentionally did something to the coin where the date is and my guess is it was to make the date more legible. It almost looks like the coins were burned or treated with a harsh chemical and rubbed hard and it really damaged the patina of the coin. I'm sure other people have seen this, I just don't deal with buffaloes very often. Anybody have any ideas?

It was a bad buy on my part, so I can't complain too much. But there was stuff in there like a 15D and a 17S that would be decent key date coins and are junk now. Just don't get why people do stuff like that.
Ireland_925

Re: Damaged Buffalo Nickel Question

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:06 pm

there's a couple products out there for restoring dates on buffalo nickels such as nic-a-date

most that are done have a visible mintmark

some of the rarer dates sell ok on eBay - just make sure and let bidders know they are "restored" date
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Re: Damaged Buffalo Nickel Question

Postby abe » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Yup, they were once dateless.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics