1961 Franklin PR-68 Deep Cameo PCI

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

1961 Franklin PR-68 Deep Cameo PCI

Postby dan53 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:11 am

I have had this coin for a couple of years now. Its a 1961 Franklin Proof: PR-68 Deep Cameo. Here's the problem.....its in a PCI holder. As most will know, PCI is no longer in business and when they were in business, they were considered an "average" coin grading company. I have been debating on whether or not to send it in to a different grading service to see if it will hold it's grade under a more refutable grading company. Numis media has it's value at $1,110.00. I would like to send it to either PCGS or NGC but I am thinking of using ANACS because of the cost savings. What would you do?
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 1961 Franklin PR-68 Deep Cameo PCI

Postby barrytrot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:18 am

PR68DC is VERY high grade for a Franklin. Odds are zero it will stay at PR68DC.

But it will at least be a "real" grade :) Instead of just in a somewhat unattractive box.

PCGS tends to be a LOT tougher on DCAM than the other 2, but of course, the reward is significantly more value.

I only use PCGS simply because it is the best and so it's a no-brainer for me. But NGC is reasonable, although lesser.

ANACS is not any more, honestly. They have substantially sold-out, as you can see if you check out the QVC coin collector programs. Even eBay is trying to get rid of ANACS.

If you are planning to hold the coin as part of your collection go PCGS. Selling wise you probably will be around the same if you are patient if you just sell it "as is" or have it certified by another company. Because the market auto-adjusts for the holder type.

Although if it is truly a mirror-heavy DCAM you can use good photos to get the best bang for the buck while it's still in the PCI holder.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jasmatk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:07 pm

post some pics up and im sure someone here can give you a good honest estimate on what the real grade will be.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:16 pm

pictures of a DCAM in-holder by someone that's not a pro at photography will not be an exact science though :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics