Grey Sheets?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Grey Sheets?

Postby goodcents » Tue May 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Hey all,
I'm not sure if any of you subscribe to the greysheet, however, I'm looking for a good guide to value obw small cent rolls, bu small cent rolls, etc.

I've heard they have section on those.

I'm willing to buy a few past months sheets so I can get a good base price.

Let me know what help you can give me. I know they have the yearly subscription and a sample subscription but thought hey if someone only is big on the current sheet, like some magazines they may just be lying around.

thanks.

Drop me a PM if you can help.
Joe
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Grey Sheets?

Postby barrytrot » Tue May 15, 2012 3:06 pm

The greysheet has the value of rolls and they are WRONG.

So don't bother using them. Check prices realized and they are all over the place so I don't slight the greysheet on that since the price for rolls of generally common coins is unstable at best.

Overall though the value of the greysheet has gone down substantially over the last few years.

If you want good prices on things check the auction houses, including ebay, and check for the realized prices. That will tell you far more than the greysheet which should go the way of the dodo soon I would think.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby goodcents » Tue May 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks Barry,
I gauge most things on ebay completed auctions. I just figured I'd ask because when I'm buying items sometimes the guys will say these are below greysheet and I'm like...hmmmm.
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScottyTX » Wed May 16, 2012 11:25 am

Yeppers, you can actually buy a previous issue of the greysheet that has the BU rolls section is it and I can't remember off the top of my head which issue you need to buy but if you look on the website it weill tell you what each issue has included. Barry is right as the Greysheet list value's for Searched Bu rolls from MS60-63 coins and is not really an indicator of what an unsearched original roll can bring at auction.... Buying rolls in the past over the years, at times I would see a roll say an unopened original bank roll of 55-p wheats go for 45-50 bucks and a month later see them going for 200-300 bucks a pop. The common date rolls of LMC stay pretty close to Greysheet values since there's not really a big market potential. So, to find out which rolls you can actually pay attention to the greysheet price on you would need to cross check completed auction sales anyways :) They are generally all over the place...hope that helps
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics