1873 dime sells for 1.6 million

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

1873 dime sells for 1.6 million

Postby hobo finds » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 pm

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 1873 dime sells for 1.6 million

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Having a spare $1.6 million of discretionary funds burning a hole in my safe, I sure wouldn't buy this dime. Sure. It may give one bragging rights to own a coin of this magnitude and rarity, but how many of your peers would really appreciate it? As the economy trends lower and more than half the US population is suffering, how much satisfaction can one get from holding this in your hand and thinking, "I've completed my life's work now."

Assuming I'd already made whatever charitable donations I may be inclined to do, but still had that wad o' cash, I'm all-in for silver big time. I wouldn't advertise I had it, but sure would sleep well at night.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics