Possible Fake 1885 & 1886 V nicks

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Possible Fake 1885 & 1886 V nicks

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Ok, numi-studs. I just bought a set of V-nicks at auction. I bought it for the 85 and 86 nicks. They were both quite nice.

Here's the deal. They are weighing in at 4.5 grams. :cry:

Does anyone see anything that raises a red flag? I don't want to waste the money on grading if their obviously wrong.
Attachments
1886 Nick.jpg
1886 Nick.jpg (77.62 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
1885 Nick.jpg
1885 Nick.jpg (69.12 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Re: Possible Fake 1885 & 1886 V nicks

Postby daviscfad » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Compare yours to some that sold on heritage auction house
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Wow, if those are real, that is awesome! Best of luck with them. Sorry I am not a numi stud so I am I no use. Just here to wave pom poms.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:13 pm

The weight is a real giveaway that something is wrong. I wouldn't expect it to be 10% underweight and look so good.

Some of this info may be useful:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle ... icleID=651
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Sorry dude,

They really look like the fakes in brian's article.

If you look at the tip of the crown in relation to the stars, it really gives it away.

Hope you didn't get hurt too bad.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Can't tell by your pics, but are the hair lines shallow like the ones in brian's article?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:39 pm

If they're fakes, I don't think they're the ones in brians article. The hairlines are strong, but not too strong. The stars are good, not amorphus. The reeded edge has a pronounced line like the real deal in the lower picture.

Humph this is frustrating. If they're fake, they're good.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:44 pm

The consignor is a friend of mine. I didn't know it while I was bidding. Afterwards, we were talking and I told him I was concerned whether they were real because they were so nice. He told me "I bought this set in 1981."

I was surprised, didn't know it was his. His statement quelled my fears until I got home and weighed them....

Now I have a possible problem with both my friend, and the auction house, but I'm stuck with them.

I'll sell some of the horde to cover the loss. What can you do?
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:33 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:The consignor is a friend of mine. I didn't know it while I was bidding. Afterwards, we were talking and I told him I was concerned whether they were real because they were so nice. He told me "I bought this set in 1981."

I was surprised, didn't know it was his. His statement quelled my fears until I got home and weighed them....

Now I have a possible problem with both my friend, and the auction house, but I'm stuck with them.

You take them back to the auction house and pound them up their a$$, that's what you do.

Don't be a laydown!. Noone can sell you counterfeits.

You are on high ground with a dbt and fake coins. You're going to let them screw you out of $800?

I'd bite his nose off!
Thogey

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:40 pm

you're right.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Humm, Looks like really good fakes to me but not 100% sure. On the 1886 is it missing a point on the star at the 10 o'clock position? They appear to be slightly lacking in star details but I'm not 100% sure if it's wear of from the die as I'm no expert...
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:02 pm

ScottyTX wrote:Humm, Looks like really good fakes to me but not 100% sure. On the 1886 is it missing a point on the star at the 10 o'clock position? They appear to be slightly lacking in star details but I'm not 100% sure if it's wear of from the die as I'm no expert...

I'm afraid I'm going to have to send them away to be sure. The local coin guy hesitated to give me a :thumbup: or :thumbdown: .
Attachments
1886 10 oclock.jpg
1886 10 oclock.jpg (43.38 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Stupid question probably, but just to cover all the bases. Did you run a magnet over them yet?

Remind that auction guy that he could be in deep doo doo for selling counterfeit US currency.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:15 pm

NHsorter wrote:Stupid question probably, but just to cover all the bases. Did you run a magnet over them yet?

Remind that auction guy that he could be in deep doo doo for selling counterfeit US currency.

:) They don't stick.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Better to submit these, as there are fakes. I don't like the look of the "5" in the 1885. Nor the leaning "6" of the 1886.

Notice the differences in this authentic proof 1886 from those you have:

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:30 pm

One of the local coin stores said they'd send them in. Going to submit that Chinese dollar too. Let you know in about 3 weeks or so!
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Sumbitted them myself....

BODYBAGS.
Attachments
bodybags.jpg
bodybags.jpg (42.11 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Stinks! Who did u send to?
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Thogey wrote:
OneBiteAtATime wrote:The consignor is a friend of mine. I didn't know it while I was bidding. Afterwards, we were talking and I told him I was concerned whether they were real because they were so nice. He told me "I bought this set in 1981."

You take them back to the auction house and pound them up their a$$, that's what you do.

Don't be a laydown!. Noone can sell you counterfeits.

You are on high ground with a dbt and fake coins. You're going to let them screw you out of $800?

I'd bite his nose off!
Thogey

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:20 pm

We've already had the conversation, Thogey. Both the auctioneer and the consignor will reverse the transaction.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics