UPDATE Boy Scouts Coin Collecting Merit Badge

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

UPDATE Boy Scouts Coin Collecting Merit Badge

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 am

My younger son Theodore is in the Boy Scouts and found there is a Coin Collecting Merit Badge . It nice that he now need help from his older brother Franklin.
Could you get the badge here is what it takes.
Requirements

Understand how coins are made and where the active U.S. Mint facilities are located.
Explain these collecting terms:
Obverse
Reverse
Reeding
Clad
Type set
Date set
Explain the grading terms Uncirculated, Extremely Fine, Very Fine, Fine, Very Good, Good, and Poor. Show five different grade examples of the same coin type. Explain the term proof and why it is not a grade. Tell what encapsulated coins are.
Know three different ways to store a collection, and describe the benefits, drawbacks, and expense of each method. Pick one to use when completing requirements.
Do the following:
Demonstrate to your counselor that you know how to use two U.S. or world coin reference catalogs.
Read a numismatic magazine or newspaper and tell your counselor about what you learned.
Describe the 1999 - 2008 50 State Quarters® Program. Collect and show your counselor five different state quarters you have acquired from circulation.
Collect from circulation a set of current U.S. coins. Include one coin of each denomination (cent, nickel, dime, quarter, half dollar, dollar). For each coin, locate the mint marks, if any, and the designer's initials, if any.
Do the following:
Identify the people depicted on the following denominations of current U.S. paper money: $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100.
Explain "legal tender."
Describe the role the Federal Reserve System plays in the distribution of currency.
Do ONE of the following:
Collect and identify 50 foreign coins from at least 10 different countries.
Collect and identify 20 bank notes from at least five different countries.
Collect and identify 15 different tokens or medals.
For each year since the year of your birth, collect a date set of a single type of coin.
Do ONE of the following:
Tour a U.S. Mint facility, a Bureau of Engraving and Printing facility, a Federal Reserve bank, or a numismatic museum or exhibit, and describe what you learned to your counselor.
With your parent's permission, attend a coin show or coin club meeting, or view the website of the U.S. Mint or a coin dealer, and report what you learned.
Give a talk about coin collecting to a group such as your troop, a Cub Scout pack, or your class at school.
Do drawings of five Colonial-era U.S. coins.
Last edited by henrysmedford on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Boy Scouts Coin Collecting Merit Badge

Postby Dano » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:45 am

Yup. Was one of the first merit badges i got in my three years of scouting. Good luck to your son on both the badge and his scouting career!
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:15 am

My goodness. If this is how difficult to get a merit badge I have even MORE respect for my 2 friends that are Eagle Scouts.

I wouldn't come close to passing all that, and I've collected coins for decades!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby knibloe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:02 pm

barrytrot wrote:My goodness. If this is how difficult to get a merit badge I have even MORE respect for my 2 friends that are Eagle Scouts.

I wouldn't come close to passing all that, and I've collected coins for decades!

And this is one of the "easy merit badges"
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby stlouiscoin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:05 pm

its not as hard as it looks... but still pretty difficult. just finished my eagle project
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby sparechange » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 am

Congrats on finishing your Eagle project(what was it?). What an accomplishment for a young man. Glad that coin collecting M.B. was part of your advancements. I think the Merit Badge is a great intro into coin collecting. Achieved it many, many years ago in my youth.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:38 am

My favorite thing about this is: MERIT

It's refreshing that some things are still based on MERIT rather than PARTICIPATION.

Ironically the real world tends to reward merit as well :)
barrytrot

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:37 pm

one of the first ones i got.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:52 pm

I am an Eagle Scout. It's a great thing. It is the only rank which you can say for the rest of your life... "I am an Eagle Scout" ... not was
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby barrytrot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:34 pm

I didn't bother to Google it or anything, but I would wager that the stats on the "success ratio" of Eagle Scouts is pretty darn good! Discipline tends to be a benefit throughout life :)
barrytrot

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:47 pm

2 things i learned in scouts i used every day - how to work towards a long term (multi-year) goal and how to handle leadership roles. as a scout, we used to plan the entire year, run the meetings, etc. We had adult supervision/direction, but they basically required us to do the whole thing.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:03 pm

I earned this merit badge as well. I don't remember having to do all of those requirements. At least the 50 state quarter thing, because those didn't exist when I got the badge.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:10 pm

You want to hear something sad?

I took my son from Tiger all the way to "almost" eagle. I sent him to SeaBase for what should have been his reward for eagle. He was 2 merit badges and his eagle project and elected not to finish. (edited) He was 15 so driving was not the issue.

That is sad but, it was his choice and he has to live with it.
I talked with some old timers (80 years+) who were eagles and they sad I made the correct choice. I was there for him all along and it was "his" eagle to earn, not mine.

It was fun.. I'm thinking about joining back up. I miss it.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:26 am

barrytrot wrote:I didn't bother to Google it or anything, but I would wager that the stats on the "success ratio" of Eagle Scouts is pretty darn good! Discipline tends to be a benefit throughout life :)

There was a study done. Results showed that Eagle Scouts were 73% more likely to vote. They also hold leadership positions within their community at 76% more then others.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/210-045_WB.pdf
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:32 am

Never earned the coin collecting merit badge. I did take the big prize though and made Eagle Scout. :D
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:09 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:You want to hear something sad?

I took my son from Tiger all the way to "almost" eagle. I sent him to SeaBase for what should have been his reward for eagle. He was 2 merit badges and his eagle project and elected not to finish. (edited) He was 15 so driving was not the issue.

That is sad but, it was his choice and he has to live with it.
I talked with some old timers (80 years+) who were eagles and they sad I made the correct choice. I was there for him all along and it was "his" eagle to earn, not mine.

It was fun.. I'm thinking about joining back up. I miss it.

the value in getting eagle is the journey, not the destination.

i'm not surprised that a teenage boy lost interest before he reached the destination.

the fact that you tried to reach a goal and fell short - for whatever reason - can be a powerful and positive motivator, sometimes more beneficial than actually reaching the goal.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:37 am

exbingoaddict wrote:
barrytrot wrote:I didn't bother to Google it or anything, but I would wager that the stats on the "success ratio" of Eagle Scouts is pretty darn good! Discipline tends to be a benefit throughout life :)

There was a study done. Results showed that Eagle Scouts were 73% more likely to vote. They also hold leadership positions within their community at 76% more then others.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/210-045_WB.pdf

86% more likely to have tried smoking ragweed because they learned it was a cousin of Mary j. (Caveat. It doesn't work, youngsters.)

60% more likely to have tried to kill squirrels with rocks for dinner.

90% more likely to have played "mumbley peg".
:?

Not that I speak from experience. :lol: It was a great journey.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:25 am

Market Harmony wrote:I am an Eagle Scout. It's a great thing. It is the only rank which you can say for the rest of your life... "I am an Eagle Scout" ... not was

Roger that. I don't think people outside of Scouting appreciate this too much, but (I've probably said this earlier or elsewhere here) if it wasn't the single greatest life-shaper of my youth, it was at least one of the top two or three. I'm not much of a materialistic person, "things" don't have much of a hold on me, but my Eagle Scout medal (sterling silver eagle, BTW - for those that don't have one) is one of the few "things" I care about and I will be passing it on to my daughter in the hope that she'll in turn be able to give it a future grandson or great-grandson after they've earned it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:35 pm

I signed up to be a Merit Badge counselor for this. How well would you do on getting your badge see--http://usscouts.org/mb/worksheets/Coin-Collecting.pdf

Untitled by henrysmedford, on Flickr
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RedRockGirl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:47 pm

This was one of my sons first merit badges. His grandpa helped him and it was really fun for him. It helped fuel his fire for his eagle through some of the harder ones. He is 14 and will be having his eagle court of honor next month.
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 am

I am now a Merit Badge counselor for this. My son Theodore did a talk on coins at his scout meeting and I talked about the debasement of coins. We gave every one there a 1943 steel cent!
Untitled by henrysmedford, on Flickr
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 am

Nicely done!
barrytrot

Return to USA Numismatics