Grey Sheet & BU rolls.

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Grey Sheet & BU rolls.

Postby mtldealer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:43 pm

For 2013 i got myself a subscription to the Grey Sheet. i just noticed that they have a whole section on prices for BU rolls of coin. I sort/hunt thru Halfs. I have been pulling from circulation everything newer than 2004 and keeping them in rolls of year/mint. According to this section there a lot of post silver years to pull from circulation assuming they are "clean." What do you guys think of this? It would add a lot of time to my current sort... I wonder if there is that much of a market to make it worthwhile?
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Re: Grey Sheet & BU rolls.

Postby barrytrot » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 pm

The market for these is very very thin.

And Grey sheet is (generally) worse than a wild guess on anything other than older certified material.

Their "modern roll" prices are unreliable at best.

You will have a very difficult time selling more than a few rolls in a whole year at close to their prices.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:18 am

Boy.. if only I could get half grey sheet bid for some of the rolls of halves I have boxes of.. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 am

www.greysheet.com You can buy single issues instead of having to subscribe next time.

No, there really isnt't that big of market for newer coinage.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Zincanator » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:06 pm

I've always wondered if the price sheet definition of BU rolls means they need to be bank rolled? Or do hand-rolled rolls count?
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:05 pm

barrytrot wrote:The market for these is very very thin.

And Grey sheet is (generally) worse than a wild guess on anything other than older certified material.

Their "modern roll" prices are unreliable at best.

You will have a very difficult time selling more than a few rolls in a whole year at close to their prices.

Everything you need to know about modern roll collecting right here :thumbup:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:53 pm

Interesting. So my 1974 Kennedy BU + rolls I just found are worth Jack Shat? Or is my internet search placing their value in MS condition between $.86 - $4.80 about right. Or will it take 2 years to sell two rolls worth or some combinaion thereof?

I thank those with any knowledge on this subject in advance!
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:37 pm

The key is -> thin market

So if you find the other 5 guys that want more 1974 BU rolls they may pay those prices.

But if you have a lot of 1974 rolls it is unlikely you will be able to sell all of them within the next couple years unless you really get lucky and find those guys.

That said: Rolls go for a premium on eBay some of the time. Any kind of rolls. No logical reason for it.
barrytrot

Return to USA Numismatics