2001 NY State Quarter Error?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

2001 NY State Quarter Error?

Postby rollsroy9 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:43 pm

I have a quarter that is definitely an error but I was wondering if anyone here has seen anything like it or knows anything about it. It is dull on both sides compared to the 1999 on the right and it is definitely not as detailed which you can see well when looking at Washington's hair. It weighs 5.6g which is the exact same as the quarter next to it though. The rim is also completely flat, but it has not been worn down it just never had the ridges in the first place. I wish I had another NY state quarter to compare it to but of course I don't.
rollsroy9
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 2001 NY State Quarter Error?

Postby uthminsta » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Some possibilities...
1. This coin was used in a slot machine. The rim wear makes me think it's been cycled through a few thousand times... and they tend to wear unusually on the reeding. That's my first guess... or...
2. The coin is a weak strike. There were a lot of subpar quality quarters when the mint was first getting used to the "5 design changes per year" schedule. I got several rolls of weakly struck Delawares back in '99.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rollsroy9 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Well I found out that the much darker color is from the coin being improperly annealed. The slot machine idea is interesting never heard of that. I will have to check that out and see if that's possible on a 2001. I looked at the edge with a 16x loupe and there are very faint marks that look like there was an attempt at reeding the coin since the spacing is right. Just strange enough to find an improperly annealed coin much less one with the lack of reeding. I really wish I had a way to send this off but of course my LCS won't do it.
rollsroy9
Penny Pincher Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:01 pm

rollsroy9 wrote:The slot machine idea is interesting never heard of that. I will have to check that out and see if that's possible on a 2001.

People who sort a lot of halves will see halves like this (the minimal/nonexistent/obliterated reeding) quite often. I am not a gambler, but I would guess there are also quarter slots that do the same damage.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics